New figures on mental health services released today
NHS Digital has released new figures on the use of NHS mental health services by adults and children from April 2020 to March 2021.
The Mental Health Bulletin 2020-21 publication provides the most detailed picture available of people who used NHS funded secondary mental health, learning disabilities and autism services in England and includes breakdowns such as age, gender, ethnicity and deprivation.
It provides separate tables on inpatient and out-patient numbers and includes figures on those receiving the highest level of care.
- 2.80m people were known to be in contact with secondary mental health, learning disabilities and autism services at some point in the year.1 768,000 of these were under 18 years of age. This represents an overall drop of 2.6% from 2019-20, when 2.88m people were known to be in contact with the services. This includes an increase of 0.5% in the number of under 18s, which rose from the 2019-20 figure of 764,000.
- This means that 5.0% of people in England were known to be in contact with secondary mental health, learning disabilities and autism services during this year. This is compared to 5.1% of people in 2019-20.
- 3.5% (97,000) of people known to be in contact with secondary mental health, learning disabilities and autism services spent time in hospital as part of being in contact with these services during 2020-21. This is compared to 3.6% (105,000) in 2019-20.
Figure 1: Proportion of the population known to be in contact with secondary mental health, learning disabilities and autism services by gender and age group, 2020-21
Other information that can be found in the publication includes numbers on:
- Early intervention for psychosis
- Use of perinatal community services2
- Memory services for those with dementia
- People subject to restrictive interventions (including type of intervention)3
Read the full report
Notes for Editors
- Figures that are presented as percentages are rounded to one decimal place. All figures over a million are rounded to the nearest 10,000. All figures between 100,000 and 1,000,000 are rounded to the nearest thousand.
- A person is considered to be ‘in contact’ with services in this publication if they have had an open referral with secondary mental health, learning disabilities and autism services during 2020-21. This may include referrals which did not result in an attendance with a service or treatment being received
- Perinatal Mental Health Services include support for mental health problems which occur during pregnancy or in the first year following the birth of a child.
- Restrictive interventions include physical restraint, chemical restraint, mechanical restraint seclusion and segregation.
Latest News from
Decrease in adult carers feeling satisfied with support services23/06/2022 13:25:00
36.3% of carers reported feeling very or extremely satisfied with support and services in 2021-22 (down from 38.6% in 2018-19), according to a survey1 of 43,525 adult carers in England, published today by NHS Digital.
Suppliers invited to tender to join Tech Innovation Framework13/06/2022 14:15:00
A new framework designed to increase innovation and choice in the primary care IT market has been launched by NHS Digital.
NHS Digital launches new social care cyber security resources07/06/2022 09:15:00
NHS Digital’s flagship security awareness toolkit, Keep I.T. Confidential, has been updated to help support social care organisations to improve security culture within their care settings.
NHS DigiTrials team take over Twitter for Clinical Trials Day24/05/2022 12:15:00
In celebration of Clinical Trials Day, some of the NHS DigiTrials team took over NHS Digital’s Twitter page to answer your questions.
DigiTrials team take over Twitter for Clinical Trials Day24/05/2022 09:15:00
In celebration of Clinical Trials Day, some of the DigiTrials team took over NHS Digital’s Twitter page to answer your questions.
Additional information on GP appointments added to monthly statistics publications28/04/2022 14:15:00
Information on the length and context of GP appointments is being included in NHS Digital’s statistics on consultations in general practice from today.
Find your NHS Number service used by millions in first year of operation21/04/2022 11:15:00
An online service enabling people to look up their NHS number quickly and easily was used 4.6 million times in its first year.
NHS App saving around 22,000 car journeys every month12/04/2022 14:15:00
The NHS App is helping to reduce travel to GP practices with an average of 22,000 car journeys saved every month.