HM Revenue and Customs
New help for small businesses launched
A new online tax forum and dedicated webchat service for small businesses and the self-employed launched yesterday by HMRC.
The Small Business Online Forum is a quick and easy way for small businesses to get answers to their tax questions, as well as help with:
- starting a business
- support for growing a business – including taking on employees and expanding
- buying and selling abroad
- completing tax returns
- tax credits
Click to access the Small Business Online Forum
Linked to the forum, HMRC’s new dedicated webchat service offers direct support to businesses and the self-employed.
Mel Stride, Financial Secretary to the Treasury and Paymaster General, said:
The UK’s 5.4 million small businesses play a vital role in our economy. We want to help businesses get off the ground and support them as they grow.
That is why we are launching a new forum and webchat service which will give these companies useful hints and tips – including how to complete tax returns, grow a business and trade outside the UK – so that they can continue to flourish.
Notes to editors
- The Small Business Online Forum forms part of the government’s business tax roadmap announced at Budget 2016.
- A pilot was launched in March 2017 and since then the forum has grown to have more than a 1,000 registered users.
- The forum does not deal with questions about taxpayers’ individual circumstances. Any comments which include personal information will be deleted.
- While no personal or case-specific information is posted on the forum, customers may be offered help through HMRC’s webchat service and their personal case handled by an adviser.
- Follow HMRC Press Office on Twitter.
- HMRC’s Flickr channel can be found here
Latest News from
HM Revenue and Customs
HMRC confirms country-by-country reporting format for multinationals16/08/2017 10:20:06
New guidance sets out process for multinationals in line with OECD requirements.
Guidance: Customs Information Paper 14 (2017): upgrade to Export Control System10/08/2017 15:10:00
This Customs Information Paper is about the EU upgrade to the Export Control System (ECS) on 1 October 2017.
New Director Generals to head HMRC’s Customer Services and Customer Compliance Groups26/07/2017 12:20:42
Two new Director Generals have been appointed to lead the Customer Services and Customer Compliance Groups, following the departures of Ruth Owen and Jennie Granger in June.
Tax credit renewal – one week to go25/07/2017 10:25:32
With one week until the 31 July renewal deadline, HMRC is urging the remaining 960,000 customers to renew now or risk having their payments stopped.