New information shows healthcare activity and outcomes for the shielded population
A new aggregate data set that provides information on healthcare activity and outcomes of shielded patients was yesterday published by NHS Digital.
The Tracking Healthcare Activity and Outcomes for Shielded Patients report provides a breakdown of the number of emergency hospital admissions, deaths and positive COVID-19 test results – for a subset of patients who have been identified as being on the Shielded Patient List (SPL)2 in England3.
A similar aggregate data set relating to a sample of the general population has also been published to allow a comparison between the two cohorts4.
This work does not evaluate the impact of shielding or identify reasons for changes in behaviour as it is not possible to reliably estimate what the emergency admission and mortality rates would have been if shielding had not been implemented. The report describes trends in activity, mortality and positive COVID-19 test results for the subset of patients on the SPL.
All of the data in this new data set is at national level with no regional breakdowns.
The data has been collected from a number of sources including, but not limited to: the SPL, Hospital Episode Statistics (HES), Office for National Statistics (ONS) death registrations data, Personal Demographics Service (PDS) data and Public Health England’s Second Generation Surveillance System (SGSS) lab results5.
NHS Digital last week also enhanced its weekly anonymous Coronavirus Shielded Patient List Open Data Set dashboard to include a breakdown by disease group6.
Where patients are identified nationally as being at high risk of complications from COVID-19 they are assigned a disease group that corresponds to the categories set by the Chief Medical Officer for England.
The current open data set and dashboard, which includes CCG and local authority data and can be broken down by age and gender, has been enhanced to include a breakdown by disease group.
Notes for Editors
- NHS Digital is the national information and technology partner of the health and care system. Our team of information analysis, technology and project management experts create, deliver and manage the crucial digital systems, services, products and standards upon which health and care professionals depend. During the 2019-20 financial year, NHS Digital published 285 statistical reports. Our vision is to harness the power of information and technology to make health and care better.
- Patients on the SPL receive advice from the NHS and information is shared with other Government organisations to co-ordinate any other support that may be required. Information of how the data is shared is available here https://digital.nhs.uk/coronavirus/shielded-patient-list#dissemination
- Shielding is one of the government interventions aimed at reducing mortality from COVID-19. In March 2020, the Government advised those considered at highest clinical risk of mortality and severe morbidity from COVID-19 (Clinically Extremely Vulnerable, CEV) to stay at home and avoid face-to-face contact for a period of at least 12 weeks.
- To provide context to the outcomes associated with patients on a subset of the SPL, observations were compared to those of an age-matched general population sample.
- Please note that all data relating to COVID-19 presented in this release is reliant upon the quality and completeness of data. For further details on individual data sources and methodologies used please see the Methodology section of the report.
- Information on the disease groups is available here: https://digital.nhs.uk/coronavirus/shielded-patient-list
- For media enquiries please contact email@example.com or 0300 303 3888.
Latest News from
New monthly IAPT data published15/01/2021 09:15:00
NHS Digital yesterday published the latest monthly report into Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT).
New information published on the annual cost of the NHS estate08/01/2021 16:05:00
NHS Digital has published information relating to the costs of providing, maintaining and servicing the NHS estate.
NHS to test routine collection of private hospital data08/01/2021 12:15:00
NHS Digital and the Private Healthcare Information Network (PHIN) have begun the testing phase of a programme that will see data on privately-funded care from independent hospitals collected by the NHS for the first time.
NHS Digital employee recognised with OBE in New Year’s Honours List05/01/2021 15:05:00
Jackie Shears, Programme Director at NHS Digital, has been awarded an OBE in the Queen’s New Year’s Honours List for services to patient care.
Coronavirus pandemic prompts a surge in the number of people using NHS tech in 202021/12/2020 14:10:00
Digital services provided by the NHS have seen a huge increase in usage throughout 2020 as a result of social distancing and the need to access healthcare remotely.
Nearly one in five women screened positive for possible eating disorder16/12/2020 09:15:00
The Health Survey for England found that 19% of women aged sixteen and over screened positive for a possible eating disorder when questioned on their relationship with food, in 2019.
NHS ICU nurses aim for Christmas chart success14/12/2020 12:20:00
NHS Digital’s Jackie Shears has re-penned a classic Police hit for the ICU Liberty Choir, who hope to become this year’s Christmas number one.
Annual statistics on sexual and reproductive health services published11/12/2020 09:15:00
NHS Digital yesterday published the Statistics on Sexual and Reproductive Health Services, England 2019-20 annual report.