New information shows healthcare activity and outcomes for the shielded population
A new aggregate data set that provides information on healthcare activity and outcomes of shielded patients was yesterday published by NHS Digital.
The Tracking Healthcare Activity and Outcomes for Shielded Patients report provides a breakdown of the number of emergency hospital admissions, deaths and positive COVID-19 test results – for a subset of patients who have been identified as being on the Shielded Patient List (SPL)2 in England3.
A similar aggregate data set relating to a sample of the general population has also been published to allow a comparison between the two cohorts4.
This work does not evaluate the impact of shielding or identify reasons for changes in behaviour as it is not possible to reliably estimate what the emergency admission and mortality rates would have been if shielding had not been implemented. The report describes trends in activity, mortality and positive COVID-19 test results for the subset of patients on the SPL.
All of the data in this new data set is at national level with no regional breakdowns.
The data has been collected from a number of sources including, but not limited to: the SPL, Hospital Episode Statistics (HES), Office for National Statistics (ONS) death registrations data, Personal Demographics Service (PDS) data and Public Health England’s Second Generation Surveillance System (SGSS) lab results5.
NHS Digital last week also enhanced its weekly anonymous Coronavirus Shielded Patient List Open Data Set dashboard to include a breakdown by disease group6.
Where patients are identified nationally as being at high risk of complications from COVID-19 they are assigned a disease group that corresponds to the categories set by the Chief Medical Officer for England.
The current open data set and dashboard, which includes CCG and local authority data and can be broken down by age and gender, has been enhanced to include a breakdown by disease group.
Notes for Editors
- NHS Digital is the national information and technology partner of the health and care system. Our team of information analysis, technology and project management experts create, deliver and manage the crucial digital systems, services, products and standards upon which health and care professionals depend. During the 2019-20 financial year, NHS Digital published 285 statistical reports. Our vision is to harness the power of information and technology to make health and care better.
- Patients on the SPL receive advice from the NHS and information is shared with other Government organisations to co-ordinate any other support that may be required. Information of how the data is shared is available here https://digital.nhs.uk/coronavirus/shielded-patient-list#dissemination
- Shielding is one of the government interventions aimed at reducing mortality from COVID-19. In March 2020, the Government advised those considered at highest clinical risk of mortality and severe morbidity from COVID-19 (Clinically Extremely Vulnerable, CEV) to stay at home and avoid face-to-face contact for a period of at least 12 weeks.
- To provide context to the outcomes associated with patients on a subset of the SPL, observations were compared to those of an age-matched general population sample.
- Please note that all data relating to COVID-19 presented in this release is reliant upon the quality and completeness of data. For further details on individual data sources and methodologies used please see the Methodology section of the report.
- Information on the disease groups is available here: https://digital.nhs.uk/coronavirus/shielded-patient-list
- For media enquiries please contact email@example.com or 0300 303 3888.
Latest News from
New statistics released on talking therapies in England31/07/2020 09:15:00
New annual figures have been released by NHS Digital on referrals to talking therapies in England during 2019-20.
NHS Digital director nominated for British Ex-Forces In Business Award28/07/2020 11:15:00
Ian Phoenix, NHS Digital’s Director of Citizen Health Technology, has been nominated for a British Ex-Forces In Business Lifetime Achievement Award.
Annual statistical report into Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) published23/07/2020 11:15:00
NHS Digital has today published the Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) Enhanced Dataset annual report 2019/20.
Coronavirus test results now visible to GPs21/07/2020 09:15:00
COVID-19 test results are now being automatically sent to GP systems as well as being communicated to the individual, giving GPs visibility of which of their patients have had COVID-19 tests and whether they have tested positive or negative.
New service enables people to sign up to be contacted for COVID-19 vaccine studies20/07/2020 16:15:00
A new NHS service has been launched today (20 July) to enable people across the UK to sign up for information on COVID-19 vaccine trials.
Data collection from adult social care will aid research into coronavirus trends in care settings16/07/2020 09:15:00
The Social Care Data Collection for Pandemic Planning and Research will collect existing, anonymised data on the COVID-19 status of care givers and care receivers directly from IT systems.
NHS Digital supports cardiovascular hospital admission research published yesterday in the Lancet15/07/2020 14:15:00
New data from NHS Digital has been used by the University of Oxford for a study looking at the weekly cardiac-related hospital admissions during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Increase in use of electronic prescriptions during coronavirus08/07/2020 11:15:00
More than 85% of primary care prescriptions in England are now processed electronically, after a rise in use of the service during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Regional coronavirus cases and triage figures published in new interactive dashboard06/07/2020 09:20:00
NHS Digital has published an interactive dashboard showing the number of coronavirus cases identified through Pillar 1 and 2 testing and the total number of NHS Pathways triages through 111 and 999, and online assessments in 111 Online which received a potential COVID-19 final disposition.