New monthly IAPT data published
NHS Digital yesterday published the latest monthly report into Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT).
The report includes monthly final data from September and October 2020 and details information on activity within the service, waiting times and outcomes for service users1.
The publication contains a number of changes from previous publications. These include:
- Change of patient counting methodology2
- Inclusion of Internet-Enabled Therapy (IET)3 now included in the data
Changes to the patient counting methodology will mean:
- Statistics which are a count of referrals or people will tend to be lower using the new method.
- Statistics which use historically submitted statuses will tend to be higher using the new method.
The effect on England-level statistics is small.
Internet-Enabled Therapy involves patients working through materials on the internet with a therapist inputting with encouragement, clarifications, and feedback at key points.
People seek treatment through IAPT services for depression and a range of anxiety disorders such as agoraphobia, post-traumatic stress disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorders, panic disorders and social phobias.
Read the full report
Notes for Editors
- Outcome measures, such as recovery, in IAPT are calculated for referrals that finish a course of treatment within the reporting period having started as clinical cases of anxiety or depression. The term "recovery" has a specific meaning in the context of IAPT services. A referral has moved to recovery if they were defined as a clinical case at the start of their treatment and not as a clinical case at the end of treatment. For further information see the ‘Guide to IAPT data and publications’ at www.digital.nhs.uk/iaptreports
- The Master Patient Service (MPS) helps us increase the amount of usable, better quality data available to support research and planning. It does this by verifying the demographic information contained in a person’s health and care records and matching it to their unique NHS number to confirm their identity. Patients can visit multiple places where they register to receive care or treatment. At any given time, we store the health and care records of individuals as recorded in various systems around the country. This can create challenges, but MPS aims to match the right person with the right record with a 99% accuracy rate. More information can be found in the supporting documentation on the report webpage.
- The NHS England IAPT Manual recommends the expansion of service provision into Internet-Enabled Therapy (IET). This involves patients working through materials on the internet with a therapist inputting with encouragement, clarifications, and feedback at key points. Scores taken from referrals having IET are now incorporated into the calculation of patient outcomes alongside those from care contact-based referrals. This will enable a comparison of the efficacy of IET with other forms of treatment. Referrals to IAPT services may be offered a mix of IET and traditional care contacts, and so the first and last patient questionnaire scores will be taken from both to determine the first and last scores necessary for the calculation of patient outcomes.
Latest News from
Latest figures on registered blind and partially sighted people in England are published26/02/2021 11:10:00
Statistics on the number of blind and partially sighted people who registered with their local authority during 2019-20 have been published by NHS Digital.
Improvements to the advice function on NHS e-Referral service makes referring easier17/02/2021 12:15:00
Following feedback from GPs and consultants, NHS Digital has improved the NHS e-Referral Service (e-RS), to make referring smoother and easier for all.
Lifesaving coronavirus treatment discovered by study using data from NHS Digital12/02/2021 11:15:00
Data from NHS Digital has helped researchers discover that an anti-inflammatory drug reduces the risk of death in patients with severe coronavirus (COVID-19).
First data published in new Medicines in Pregnancy Registry11/02/2021 16:05:00
The first publication includes data on valproate use by females aged 0 to 54 years, in England, from April 2018 to September 2020.
Major step forward in creating a truly digital NHS through world’s largest email migration to the cloud02/02/2021 14:15:00
NHS Digital has successfully completed the world’s largest ever enterprise email migration after moving 2.1m NHSmail mailboxes over to Microsoft’s Exchange Online platform.
Decline in hospital admissions for drug-related mental and behavioural disorders29/01/2021 13:25:00
Hospital admissions for drug-related mental and behavioural disorders in England dropped by 5% in a year, new figures published by NHS Digital show.
New report reveals more than 2.8m people were in contact with secondary mental health services in 2019/2029/01/2021 08:15:00
More than 2.8m people were in contact with secondary mental health services in England in 2019-20, according to new figures published by NHS Digital.