New statistics on England’s social care workforce published
NHS Digital1 yesterday published its latest annual report on components of the social care workforce in England.
Personal Social Services: Staff of Social Services Departments, England 20182 includes information on the people employed by local authority adult social services as at September 2018.
This report covers the 112,200 workers employed by local authorities in adult social care services in 2017, accounting for approximately 6.8% of the total adult social care workforce in England.
Information in the report includes:
- the number of local authority adult social care jobs by job role and employer type
- starters, leavers and vacancy rates
- the proportion of jobs with zero hours contracts, by job role group
- the average number of hours per week which are worked by adult social care staff within local authorities
- individual worker characteristics such as gender, age, ethnicity, pay and qualifications
- average number of sick days taken by adult social care staff in local authorities
The report does not include information on staff employed in the independent sector (private and voluntary) or children's social services departments (published separately by the Department for Education).
Read the full report
Follow us on Twitter: @NHSDigital
Notes to editors
- NHS Digital is the national information and technology provider for the health and care system. Our team of information analysis, technology and project management experts create, deliver and manage the crucial digital systems, services, products and standards upon which health and care professionals and citizens depend. During the 2017/18 financial year, NHS Digital published 275 statistical reports. Our vision is to harness the power of information and technology to make health and care better. The Health and Social Care Information Centre is a non-departmental body created by statute, also known as NHS Digital. We provide ‘Information and Technology for better health and care’. Find out more about our role and remit at www.digital.nhs.uk
- This report has used data collected by the National Minimum Data Set for Social Care (NMDS-SC) for the past seven years (from 2011). The NMDS-SC is managed by Skills for Care (SfC) on behalf of the Department of Health and has been collecting information about social care providers and their staff since early 2006.
- Following an open National Statistics consultation, it was decided that the NMDS-SC would replace the Personal Social Services Staff of Social Services Departments’ return SSDS001 from September 2011 as the adult workforce data return for local authorities. The data in this report is therefore not directly comparable with SSDS001 and so comparisons are not made to data prior to 2011 in this report. For more information regarding this, see the Data Quality report that accompanies this publication.
- For media enquires please contact email@example.com or telephone 0300 30 33 888.
Latest News from
Ambulance clinicians to access patient information on the move, without a Smartcard18/04/2019 14:15:00
Yesterday the London Ambulance Service began a pilot to enable its clinicians to securely access Summary Care Record data on an iPad, without the need for a smartcard or N3, by using the new NHS Identity Service to authenticate to the system.
NHS Digital deal offers NHS organisations better insight into system data18/04/2019 09:15:00
NHS Digital has agreed a deal that will allow NHS organisations to make better use of their machine generated information through a market-leading data monitoring and analytics platform.
NHS staff and parents to gain access to crucial child health information16/04/2019 14:15:00
NHS Digital and NHS England collaborate with IT suppliers to launch groundbreaking new service.
NHS Digital programmes nominated for digital award15/04/2019 09:15:00
NHS Digital’s Digital Delivery Centre has been nominated for a DigiLeaders 100 award for its work on the National Record Locator and NHS 111 online.
£4.8m available to scale up local digital adult social care projects02/04/2019 14:15:00
Organisations that provide and commission adult social care services are invited to bid for a share of £4.8m to enable them to roll out their local digital projects on a wider scale.
Prescription Cost Analysis report published28/03/2019 15:15:15
The cost of prescriptions dispensed in the community and the number of items dispensed during the 2018 calendar year has been published today by NHS Digital.
Emergency readmissions published for first time in five years21/03/2019 16:10:00
New experimental statistics  have been released by NHS Digital, showing emergency readmissions for hospitals in England between 2013/14 and 2017/18.
Daniel Ray is named second in data 100 power list08/03/2019 15:33:00
NHS Digital’s Daniel Ray has been named the second most influential data and analytics practitioner in the UK by dataIQ’s top 100 list.