New statistics released on talking therapies in England
New annual figures have been released by NHS Digital on referrals to talking therapies in England during 2019-20.
The Psychological Therapies, Annual report on the use of IAPT services 2019-20 publication provides information on the Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) programme. This programme is run by the NHS in England and offers NICE-approved therapies for treating people with depression and anxiety.
Information that can be found in the report and interactive dashboard includes:
- number of referrals to talking therapies
- outcomes of treatments, including recovery2
- the average number of sessions per referral
- waiting times for entering and finishing treatment
- demographic and geographic breakdowns
- trend data for key activity and outcomes
People seek treatment through IAPT services for depression and a range of anxiety disorders such as agoraphobia, post-traumatic stress disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorders, panic disorders and social phobias.
Read the full report
Notes to Editors
- The IAPT dataset became a nationally mandated data set in April 2012; earlier comparable data are not available.
- Outcome measures, such as recovery, in IAPT are calculated for referrals that finish a course of treatment within the reporting period having started as clinical cases of anxiety or depression. The term "recovery" has a specific meaning in the context of IAPT services. A referral has moved to recovery if they were defined as a clinical case at the start of their treatment and not as a clinical case at the end of treatment. For further information see the ‘Guide to IAPT data and publications’ at www.digital.nhs.uk/iaptreports
- All historical IAPT publications can be found at www.digital.nhs.uk/iaptreports
Latest News from
NHS Digital Terminology Server goes live17/06/2021 13:43:00
NHS Digital’s Terminology Server, a solution which enables healthcare IT systems to speak the same language, is now live and demonstrating the value of collaboration within the health economy when exchanging data.
Hospitals announced for national ‘whole-practice’ data pilots16/06/2021 16:25:00
The first providers taking part in ADAPt, a national data alignment programme between the NHS and private sector, have been confirmed today.
Collection of GP Data for Planning and Research to go ahead on 1 September 202109/06/2021 09:15:00
Data saves lives. We have seen that in response to COVID-19 and the successful rollout of the vaccine programme.
Patient data saves lives07/06/2021 10:10:00
NHS Digital’s Clinical Director and Caldicott Guardian Arjun Dhillon talks about the benefits the improved GP data system will bring including keeping your data more secure
Statistics published on COVID-19 patients recorded by GPs21/05/2021 09:15:00
Statistics on COVID-19 patients as recorded in primary care systems throughout England were yesterday published for the first time.
One million admissions linked to obesity in 2019/20 new data reveals19/05/2021 09:15:00
There were more than one million admission to NHS hospitals in 2019/20 where obesity was a factor, according to new figures published yesterday by NHS Digital.
New series of Full Digital Breakfast events launched by NHS Digital18/05/2021 16:15:00
The first in a series of digital breakfast events is being launched by NHS Digital next week.
Improved collection of GP data launched12/05/2021 13:15:00
Respected voices across the clinical, academic, research and patient spectrum have welcomed the introduction of a new service from NHS Digital, which will more efficiently collect primary care data and make it available for better planning of healthcare services and for use in medical research.