New statistics released on talking therapies in England
New annual figures have been released by NHS Digital on referrals to talking therapies in England during 2019-20.
The Psychological Therapies, Annual report on the use of IAPT services 2019-20 publication provides information on the Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) programme. This programme is run by the NHS in England and offers NICE-approved therapies for treating people with depression and anxiety.
Information that can be found in the report and interactive dashboard includes:
- number of referrals to talking therapies
- outcomes of treatments, including recovery2
- the average number of sessions per referral
- waiting times for entering and finishing treatment
- demographic and geographic breakdowns
- trend data for key activity and outcomes
People seek treatment through IAPT services for depression and a range of anxiety disorders such as agoraphobia, post-traumatic stress disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorders, panic disorders and social phobias.
Read the full report
Notes to Editors
- The IAPT dataset became a nationally mandated data set in April 2012; earlier comparable data are not available.
- Outcome measures, such as recovery, in IAPT are calculated for referrals that finish a course of treatment within the reporting period having started as clinical cases of anxiety or depression. The term "recovery" has a specific meaning in the context of IAPT services. A referral has moved to recovery if they were defined as a clinical case at the start of their treatment and not as a clinical case at the end of treatment. For further information see the ‘Guide to IAPT data and publications’ at www.digital.nhs.uk/iaptreports
- All historical IAPT publications can be found at www.digital.nhs.uk/iaptreports
Latest News from
NHS England launches tech trials to boost health and care connectivity21/08/2023 11:15:00
NHS organisations are being invited to take part in wireless trials to explore how cutting-edge technologies can help improve patient care.
Money-saving deal gives NHS staff access to latest digital tools29/06/2023 16:10:00
All NHS staff in England will have access to the latest digital tools as part of ongoing efforts to increase efficiency and boost productivity in the health service.
Schools encouraged to participate in NHS survey on smoking, drinking and drug use29/06/2023 14:15:00
Secondary schools across England are being invited to take part in the latest edition of a statistical survey measuring the use of alcohol, nicotine and drugs by young people.
Health staff switching to improved NHS patient record service22/06/2023 10:05:00
Health and care professionals are being encouraged to move to the new version of an NHS patient record service to enhance the way national patient medical information can be accessed.
Innovation in health cyber security celebrated at CAN Awards12/06/2023 16:15:00
Innovation and expertise in cyber security across public sector health and social care were recently (09 June 2023) celebrated at the CAN Awards 2023.
CAN Awards 2023: Celebrating innovation in cyber security19/05/2023 09:15:00
The Cyber Associates Network Awards highlight and celebrate innovation and digital expertise within cyber security across the NHS.
New survey of public health shows strong link between poor health and loneliness: statistical press release17/05/2023 09:15:00
Adults in England who reported bad or very bad health are more than three times as likely to report feeling lonely than those with good or very good health.
Online GP registrations reach 240,000 as new digital NHS service grows11/05/2023 09:20:00
GP practices are being encouraged to join a new national online service making registering patients quicker and easier.