Non-Domestic Rates Relief Statistics Scotland, 2022
An Official Statistics Publication for Scotland.
Scotland’s Chief Statistician has today published statistics on the reliefs and exemptions from non-domestic rates that were in place at 1 July 2022. These figures were produced by independent statistical staff free from any political influence, in accordance with professional standards set out in the Code of Practice for Official Statistics.
This is a routine annual publication presenting a snapshot of the reliefs and exemptions from Non-Domestic Rates that were in place at the start of July 2022.
As at 1 July 2022:
- There were 254,170 non-zero-rated properties on the Valuation Roll. Most of these, 161,390 or 63%, received rates relief, to a total value of £730m, or 22% of the total gross bill for all properties (excluding designated utilities).
- 145,370 properties (57% of all properties) received 100% relief, with a total value of £593m.
- A total of 170,620 reliefs were in place. The total number of reliefs is larger than the total number of properties, because a single property can receive more than one relief.
- Three reliefs (Small Business Bonus Scheme, Charity (both mandatory and discretionary), and Empty Property reliefs and exemptions) accounted for 93% of the number of all reliefs awarded, and for 79% of the value of all reliefs awarded.
- The Small Business Bonus Scheme (SBBS) relief was awarded to 123,010 properties, of which 114,880 received 100% SBBS relief. A further 1,140 received SBBS combined with other reliefs, accounting for 100% of their gross bill.
- The total value of SBBS relief was £275m, which is 38% of the value of all reliefs.
The full statistical publication is available at the Publications page on the Scottish Government website.
Further information on Local Government Finance Statistics within Scotland can be accessed at the Local government finance statistics page on the Scottish Government website.
Official statistics are produced by professionally independent statistical staff – more information on the standards of official statistics in Scotland can be accessed at the statistics and research page on the Scottish Government website.
More information on non-domestic rates relief in Scotland can be accessed at the Local government finance circular 4/2022 on the Scottish Government website
Latest News from
Reducing emissions from waste03/02/2023 16:20:00
Keeping plastic out of incinerators will help meet climate targets.
Tackling social isolation and loneliness03/02/2023 13:15:00
Funding will help tackle social impact of rising cost of living.
Developing Scotland’s international cultural presence03/02/2023 10:10:00
Survey launched to understand international interests and aspirations.
Deadline for School Age Payment approaches02/02/2023 13:05:00
Families urged to make sure they don't miss out
Work to support wild salmon recovery02/02/2023 09:25:00
New group will lead implementation of new measures.
Monthly GDP estimates for November01/02/2023 13:15:00
An experimental statistics publication for Scotland.
Adult Disability Payment consultation31/01/2023 15:15:00
Views sought on mobility element of disability benefit.