Oceans and seas threatened by climate change: Council adopts conclusions
The Council yesterday adopted conclusions on oceans and seas, stressing that climate change is a direct and existential threat to life in oceans and seas globally. It calls for increased policy action at all levels of government to protect marine and coastal ecosystems. It notes with great concern the warming of European regional seas at a higher pace than average.
EU member states unanimously support ambitious efforts to protect oceans and seas
Member states unanimously stress the need for immediate action against increasing threats on our oceans, seas and coastal areas. The Council invites the Commission to come up with policy options to respond to the alarming findings of the new Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) special report on the ocean and cryosphere in a changing climate.
In its conclusions, the Council underlines the importance of
- sustainably using marine resources
- a sustainable blue economy, and the role of the economic sectors related to oceans, seas and coasts including fisheries, maritime transport and offshore renewable energies
- enhanced coordination in maritime security including circumpolar meteorological and oceanographic cooperation
- protecting the Arctic and the outermost regions and overseas countries and territories, given their specific vulnerability to climate change
- reducing marine litter including plastic waste and microplastics
- ensuring healthy and resilient oceans
- protecting the biodiversity of vulnerable marine and coastal ecosystems
- strengthening research and ocean science.
- Council conclusions on oceans and seas
- The Council sets out EU position for UN climate conference COP25 (press release, 04/10/2019)
- IPCC Special Report on the Ocean and Cryosphere in a Changing Climate, September 2019
- Council conclusions on the revision of the EU maritime security strategy action plan, 26 June 2018
- Council conclusions on blue growth, 26 June 2017
- Council conclusions on 'International ocean governance: an agenda for the future of our oceans', 3 April 2017
- Council conclusions on the Arctic, 20 June 2016
- Council conclusions on the Integrated Maritime Policy: achievements and future developments of the maritime agenda for growth and jobs, 24 June 2014
+32 2 281 62 63
+32 470 88 42 96
Latest News from
MEPs: Focus on crisis response when coordinating economic and budgetary policies29/05/2020 10:25:00
On Wednesday, MEPs discussed the European Semester and economically and socially sustainable ways out of the crisis with Commissioners Dombrovskis, Gentiloni and Schmit.
Questions and Answers on the EU budget for recovery: Recovery and Resilience Facility29/05/2020 09:25:00
The new Recovery and Resilience Facility will provide large-scale financial support to reforms and investments undertaken by Member States, with the aims of mitigating the economic and social impact of the coronavirus pandemic and of making the EU economies more sustainable, resilient and better prepared for the challenges posed by the green and digital transitions.
EU budget for recovery: Questions and answers on REACT-EU, cohesion policy post-2020 and the European Social Fund+28/05/2020 16:33:00
REACT-EU stands for Recovery Assistance for Cohesion and the Territories of Europe and is an initiative that continues and extends the crisis response and crisis repair measures delivered through the Coronavirus Response Investment Initiative and the Coronavirus Response Investment Initiative Plus.
EU future at stake: MEPs broadly welcome Commission’s recovery package proposals28/05/2020 15:25:00
Focussing on future generations, Commission President von der Leyen discussed the €750 billion recovery instrument within a revamped long-term EU budget in plenary.
COVID-19 crisis: MEPs discuss plans to safely resume travel and reboot tourism28/05/2020 13:25:00
The Transport and Tourism Committee will discuss on Thursday at 10:00 CEST the European Commission’s guidance on how to safely resume travel and reboot Europe's tourism.
Europe's moment: Repair and prepare for the next generation28/05/2020 12:33:00
The European Commission yesterday put forward its proposal for a major recovery plan.
Research and Innovation Performance report: Enabling Europe to lead the green and digital transition28/05/2020 11:33:00
The Commission yesterday released its latest report on the EU's Science, Research and Innovation Performance, through which it analyses how Europe performs in the global context.
Raising opportunities for young people in rural and remote areas: the Council adopts conclusions28/05/2020 09:25:00
The Council adopted by written procedure conclusions on raising opportunities for young people in rural and remote areas.
EU citizens want more competences for the EU to deal with crises like COVID-1927/05/2020 16:43:00
In a new survey commissioned by the European Parliament, a majority (58 %) state they have experienced financial difficulties since the start of the crisis.