HM Land Registry
October 2017 Price Paid Data
HM Land Registry Price Paid Data tracks land and property sales in England and Wales submitted to us for registration.
This month’s Price Paid Data includes details of more than 101,000 sales of land and property in England and Wales that HM Land Registry received for registration in October 2017.
In the dataset, you can find the date of sale for each property, its full address and sale price, its category (residential or commercial) and type (detached, semi-detached, terraced, flat or maisonette and other), whether it is new build or not and whether it is freehold or leasehold.
The number of sales received for registration by property type and month
|Property type||October 2017||September 2017||August 2017|
Of the 101,008 sales received for registration in October 2017:
- 74,649 were freehold, a 9% increase on October 2016
- 11,949 were newly built, a 8.5% decrease on October 2016
There is a time difference between the sale of a property and its registration at HM Land Registry.
Of the 101,008 sales received for registration, 27,229 took place in October 2017 of which:
- 479 were of residential properties in England and Wales for £1 million and over
- 253 were of residential properties in Greater London for £1 million and over
- 3 were of residential properties in Greater Manchester for £1 million and over
The most expensive residential sale taking place in October 2017 was of a flat in the City of Westminster, London for £15,750,000. The cheapest residential sale in October 2017 was of a terraced property in Bishop Auckland, County Durham for £18,500.
The most expensive commercial sale taking place in October 2017 was in the City of Westminster, London for £148,922,635. The cheapest commercial sale in October 2017 was in Taunton Deane, Somerset, for £100.
Notes to editors
- Price Paid Data is published at 11 am on the 20th working day of each month. Due to the public holidays in December, the November dataset will be published on 2 January 2018.
- Price Paid Data is property price data for all residential and commercial property sales in England and Wales that are lodged with HM Land Registry for registration in that month, subject to exclusions.
- The amount of time between the sale of a property and the registration of this information with HM Land Registry varies. It typically ranges between 2 weeks and 2 months. Data for the two most recent months is therefore incomplete and does not give an indication of final monthly volumes. Occasionally the interval between sale and registration is longer than two months. The small number of sales affected cannot be updated for publication until the sales are lodged for registration.
- Price Paid Data categories are either Category A (Standard entries) which includes single residential properties sold for full market value or Category B (Additional entries) for example sales to a company, buy-to-lets where they can be identified by a mortgage and repossessions.
- HM Land Registry has been collecting information on Category A sales from January 1995 and on Category B sales from October 2013.
- Price Paid Data can be downloaded in txt, csv format and in a machine readable format as linked data and is released under Open Government Licence (OGL). Under the OGL, HM Land Registry permits the use of Price Paid Data for commercial or non-commercial purposes. However, the OGL does not cover the use of third party rights, which HM Land Registry is not authorised to license.
- The Price Paid Data report builder allows users to build bespoke reports using the data. Reports can be based on location, estate type, price paid or property type over a defined period of time.
- HM Land Registry is a government department created in 1862. It operates as an executive agency and a trading fund and its running costs are covered by the fees paid by the users of its services. Its ambition is to become the world’s leading land registry for speed, simplicity and an open approach to data.
- HM Land Registry safeguards land and property ownership worth more than £4 trillion, including about £1 trillion of mortgages. The Land Register contains around 24 million titles, which show evidence of ownership, covering some 84% of the land mass.
- For further information about HM Land Registry visit www.gov.uk/land-registry.
- Follow us on
Senior Press Officer
1 Bedford Park
Telephone 0300 0067543
Mobile 07790 690297
1 Bedford Park
Telephone 0300 0063349
Latest News from
HM Land Registry
January 2018 Transaction Data21/02/2018 15:10:02
This data provides information about the number and types of applications that HM Land Registry completed in January 2018.
UK House Price Index (UK HPI) annual review 201714/02/2018 11:20:38
A review of the UK House Price Index statistics for 2017 for England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
UK House Price Index for December 201714/02/2018 09:10:37
The UK House Price Index (UK HPI) shows house price changes for England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Award-winning Geovation Programme seeks new GeoTech and PropTech disruptors30/01/2018 11:20:08
Geovation invites PropTech startup companies to bid for funding.