Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC - formerly IPCC)
Printable version

Officers involved in fatal crash in Wimbledon did not breach standards of professional behaviour

An investigation launched after a fatal collision between a moped and a police car concluded no officers breached professional standards of behaviour.

The collision, in Wimbledon in the early hours of 16 July 2017, resulted in the death of Tyereece Johnson, 16, and injuries to two other teenage boys riding the moped.

A referral was made to the Independent Officer for Police Conduct (IOPC) by the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) and we launched an investigation.

We completed our investigation in July 2018 and concluded there was no indication that any officer had breached standards of professional behaviour. We are publishing our findings now following the completion of an inquest into Tyereece’s death.

IOPC Regional Director Sal Naseem, said:

 “I am deeply saddened that a young man lost his life in this collision. We have analysed the evidence available and concluded that officers involved in responding to reports regarding the moped followed instructions and conducted themselves appropriately.

“We also concluded that the driver of the police vehicle that was involved in the collision was unaware of the exact location of the moped and on entering the junction of Trinity Road and South Park Road could not have avoided colliding with the moped. I would like to extend my deepest sympathies to everyone involved and their families.”

We collected a large amount of video evidence, particularly from a police helicopter which observed the driving of the moped, as well as that of a number of other police vehicles, and council CCTV.

We also collected in-car data from the police cars involved in the incident, radio airwaves shared between the vehicles, helicopter, and the MPS command centre, obtained statements from officers and sought advice from a collision expert. 

We also examined relevant local and national policing guidelines.
Following the collision, the two teenagers were arrested and pleaded guilty to aggravated vehicle taking.

Police received reports of young men on mopeds carrying out offences in the Streatham area at about 1am 16 July 2017.

A police helicopter observed three young men on a moped in the Clapham area and monitored their progress as they drove through various parts of south west London, eventually ending in Wimbledon town centre.

Officers in police cars were notified and travelled to Wimbledon to intercept the moped.
Permission was given to officers who were suitably equipped to use a stinger to safely deflate the tyres of the moped but cars were ordered to not conduct a pursuit. At 2.13am the moped collided with a police car at the junction of Trinity Road and South Park Road, Wimbledon.

Evidence we gathered suggests the driver of the police car believed they were travelling on a parallel road to the one the moped rider was using, when in fact the moped was on South Park Road, at a right angle to Trinity Road. The two vehicles entered the junction at the same time, with Tyereece driving through give way markings and the moped struck the side of the car.

The evidence we gathered suggested the police officer did not see the moped prior to the crash and had no chance of avoiding the collision.
Following the collision a number of police officers in the vicinity provided first aid to the three teenagers. Ambulances were called and the three teenagers were taken to hospital. Tyereece died in hospital the following day.


Channel website:

Original article link:

Share this article

Latest News from
Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC - formerly IPCC)

Frontline Healthcare Case Study: 4m+ care calls answered whilst £600k+ saved