Ofgem launches annual ‘State of the Market’ report
Today Ofgem has launched its annual State of the Energy Market report. This gives a detailed assessment of how well the energy market is working for consumers in terms of competition, affordability, decarbonisation, and security of supply.
Energy markets are rapidly transforming to meet our need for clean, secure, affordable energy and changing patterns of consumption. The pace and scale of change is unlike anything ever seen before in the sector.
Ofgem’s report focusses on four areas to understand how well the market is working in the interests of consumers.
- Security of supply
Ofgem’s CEO, Dermot Nolan comments: “Energy is an essential service and so we want to ensure that the markets work in the interest of all consumers. Transparency is crucial in informing debate and policy development in the energy sector. This annual report shines a light for the public, experts and stakeholders on where the market is, and where it isn’t, working for consumers.
“It is also a report for us, Ofgem. It will help inform the way we regulate, to protect consumers now and in the future.”
Notes to editors
- Download the full report at State of the Energy Market 2017
- From the blog - Ofgem CEO, Dermot Nolan on Energy markets in 2017
- Report short-read: Ofgem’s Chief Economist, Joe Perkins on the key findings by chapter in our digital feature State of Energy
- Podcast - Listen to Ofgem’s Head of Analytical Strategy & Economics Community, Maureen Paul explore the report's data:
- Following its two year investigation of the energy market, the Competition and Markets Authority recommended Ofgem produce a wide-ranging assessment of the energy markets to improve transparency and inform policy-making. This report is Ofgem’s response to the recommendation.
- Ofgem exists to protect the interests of energy consumers now and in the future, through secure reliable, greener, secure, affordable energy including for vulnerable consumers. It aims to ensure the energy industry provides value for money and good service.
For media, contact:
Ruth Somerville: 0207 901 7460
Media out of hours mobile: 07766 511470 (media calls only)
For investors, contact:
Martin Young: 0207 901 7114
Ofgem is the independent energy regulator for Great Britain. Its priority is to make a positive difference for consumers by promoting competition in the energy markets and regulating networks.
For energy insights and updates straight to your inbox from Ofgem, please subscribe.
Latest News from
Ofgem reorganisation16/01/2018 11:25:00
Ofgem will be putting in place a new streamlined organisational structure in April so it can better focus on protecting consumers.
Ofgem publishes supplier standard variable tariff league table21/12/2017 12:25:00
SSE has come bottom of Ofgem’s new league table ranking the ten largest suppliers on how many customers on poor value standard variable tariffs they have.
Ofgem publishes latest annual reports on energy network price controls20/12/2017 12:15:00
Ofgem has published the 2016/2017 annual reports on the energy network companies’ price controls.
Ofgem’s compliance work with npower and E.ON11/12/2017 10:20:00
Ofgem has worked with npower and E.ON, after they wrongly told customers whose contract was due to end that they’d incur exit fees if they switched supplier during the last 49 days of a contract (the ‘switching window’).