One million granted status under the EU Settlement Scheme
New statistics up to the end of July show more than 950,000 applications from England, 50,000 from Scotland, 15,000 from Wales and 12,000 from Northern Ireland.
The Home Office has today (15 August 2019) announced that over one million people have been granted settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme.
The milestone comes 4 and a half months after the scheme fully launched on 30 March 2019. More than 50,000 people applied in the opening weekend alone.
Minister of State for the Home Office Brandon Lewis said:
EU citizens have made incredible contributions to our country – which is why I’m so pleased that over one million people have been granted status, enshrining their rights in law.
The EU Settlement Scheme is designed to make it straightforward for EU citizens and their family members to stay after the UK leaves the EU. To apply they only need to complete 3 key steps – prove their identity, show that they live in the UK and declare any criminal convictions.
There is a wide range of support available for EU citizens and their families via phone, email and in person. This includes a dedicated Settlement Resolution Centre, over 300 Assisted Digital locations supporting those with limited computer access or skills and a network of 57 organisations, funded by the Home Office, helping vulnerable people such as the homeless, disabled and elderly to apply.
Barbara Drozdowicz, Chief Executive Officer at the East European Resource Centre said:
We are delighted that the EU Settlement Scheme has reached this important landmark.
So far, our charity has helped more than 700 vulnerable people from Central and Eastern Europe to submit applications to the scheme.
The Home Office has today published the latest statistics on the EU Settlement Scheme up to 31 July 2019, showing that the highest number of applications has come from Polish, Romanian, Italian and Portuguese people.
Employers are also stepping in to support their own staff to make applications and making use of a Home Office employers toolkit, designed to give them practical advice to support their staff.
Neil Yorke, Director at The Best Connection said:
The Best Connection is proud to be one of the largest employers of EU nationals in the UK.
We have received helpful guidance from the Home Office which, along with our own initiatives, has encouraged our EU national workforce to apply and obtain status so that they continue to live and work in the UK after Brexit.
Deal or no deal, EU citizens and their family members will have until at least 31 December 2020 to apply. The figure of one million people having been granted status has been obtained from internal management information and is not part of the published statistics.
Latest News from
Government plans to strengthen firearms laws for public safety26/11/2020 09:10:00
Consultation proposes new controls on air weapons, miniature rifle ranges, and high-powered firearms.
Lord Walney announced as independent adviser on political violence and disruption24/11/2020 11:10:00
Lord Walney will take on a new unpaid role as independent adviser on political violence and disruption.
Thousands more health workers to benefit from visa extensions20/11/2020 12:20:00
More than 6,000 frontline health workers will have their visas extended for a year for free, including doctors, nurses and paramedics.
Funding boost for rape and domestic abuse support19/11/2020 10:17:00
Ministers yesterday (18 November 2020) confirmed a major funding boost for victims of rape and domestic abuse as services face dealing with greater demand this winter.
Government leads national drive to protect victims of child abuse18/11/2020 11:10:00
New campaign to protect children launched as tougher restrictions come into effect.
Immigration Act receives Royal Assent: free movement to end on 31 December 202012/11/2020 11:10:00
The Immigration Act yesterday (Wednesday 11 November 2020) received Royal Assent and was signed into law.
Government closes antique firearms loopholes to protect public10/11/2020 11:10:00
The new measures target antique firearms used in violent crime and mean that up to 26,000 guns will now require firearms licences.
Chief Inspector of Borders and Immigration term extended04/11/2020 15:20:00
David Bolt agrees to extend his term as Chief Inspector.