HM Revenue and Customs
Printable version

One week left to extend Child Benefit claim for teenagers

Child Benefit automatically stops when children reach 16 but it can be claimed for children continuing their education or training.

Parents have one week after GCSE results day to tell HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) that their 16-year-old is continuing their education or training, to continue receiving Child Benefit.

Teenagers will find out their GCSE results this week and many will be considering their future and whether to stay on in education. Child Benefit payments stop on 31 August after a child turns 16, but parents can extend their claim if their child is continuing in approved education or training.

It is easy for parents to update their Child Benefit record. They can use the online service on GOV.UK or the HMRC app to tell HMRC about their child’s plans.

HMRC recently wrote to parents about extending their Child Benefit claim. The letter included a QR code which, when scanned, directs them to GOV.UK to update their claim online. Any changes will be applied to their Child Benefit claim immediately.

Child Benefit will continue to be paid for children who are studying full time which can include:

  • A levels or similar
  • International Baccalaureate
  • home education – if it started before their child turned 16 or after 16 if they have special needs

  • T levels
  • NVQs, up to level 3
  • traineeships in England

Child Benefit will also continue for children studying on one of these unpaid approved training courses:

  • in Wales: Foundation Apprenticeships, Traineeships or the Jobs Growth Wales+ scheme
  • in Northern Ireland: PEACE IV Children and Young People 2.1, Training for Success or Skills for Life and Work

Myrtle Lloyd, HMRC’s Director General for Customer Services, said:

Child Benefit can provide financial support to families, so make sure you don’t miss out if your teenager is still eligible. You can quickly and easily extend your claim online or via the HMRC app, just search ‘Child Benefit when your child turns 16’ on GOV.UK.

Parents will need a Government Gateway user ID and password to use HMRC’s online services. They will need their National Insurance number or postcode and 2 forms of ID to register on GOV.UK.

The government is offering help for households. Check GOV.UK to find out about cost of living support, including help with childcare costs.

Further information

More information on Child Benefit for 16-19 year olds

Parents cannot claim Child Benefit if their child is taking a course that is part of a job contract.

Parents can view and manage their claim quickly and easily online or on the HMRC app. This includes viewing payment information and proof of their claim, adding additional children and updating their details – all without needing to call HMRC.


Channel website:

Original article link:

Share this article

Latest News from
HM Revenue and Customs