10 Downing Street
PM chairs inaugural meeting of the Housing Implementation Taskforce
Prime Minister Theresa May yesterday chaired the inaugural meeting of the Housing Implementation Taskforce – a cross-government working group attended by, among others, the Chancellor, the Housing Secretary, the Transport Secretary and several other Cabinet Ministers, to discuss the progress Government is making and further actions needed to increase housing supply.
A Downing Street spokesperson yesterday said:
Today the Prime Minister chaired the first meeting of the Housing Implementation Taskforce at Downing Street.
She stressed the integral role all Government departments have in helping to fix the broken housing market and deliver 300,000 additional homes by the mid-2020s.
The taskforce discussed the steps Government has already taken, including further investment at the Budget, planning reform, releasing land faster, the Housing White Paper and building more affordable housing.They emphasised the key role of Homes England in driving forward change, and also focused on the supply of new housing, public sector land sales, land banking, house-building skills and building the infrastructure needed for new housing developments.
The Prime Minister reiterated that a step change was needed right across Government and that all departments needed to think creatively about how they can contribute to building the homes the country needs.
Ministers who attended the meeting included:
- Rt Hon Philip Hammond MP, Chancellor of the Exchequer
- Rt Hon Sajid Javid MP, Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government
- Rt Hon Greg Clark MP, Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
- Rt Hon David Lidington CBE MP, Minister for the Cabinet Office and Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster
- Rt Hon Damian Hinds, Secretary of State for Education
- Rt Hon Michael Gove MP, Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
- Rt Hon Chris Grayling, Secretary of State for Transport
- Rt Hon Tobias Ellwood MP, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Ministry of Defence
- Baroness Buscombe, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for the Department for Work and Pensions
- Oliver Dowden CBE MP, Parliamentary Secretary at the Cabinet
Latest News from
10 Downing Street
PM speech at Munich Security Conference: 17 February 201819/02/2018 15:15:15
Prime Minister Theresa May's speech given recently (17 February 2018) at the 2018 Munich Security Conference.
PM press conference with Chancellor Merkel: 16 February 201819/02/2018 13:17:00
The Prime Minister recently (16 February 2018) gave a statement at a joint press conference with German Chancellor Angela Merkel in Berlin ahead of attending the Munich Security Conference.
Prime Minister's statement at Stormont House13/02/2018 15:20:56
Transcript of the Prime Minister's statement given yesterday at Stormont House in Northern Ireland.
Millions to benefit from enhanced rights as government responds to Taylor review of modern working practices07/02/2018 16:12:00
The UK will become one of the first countries to address the challenges of the changing world of work in the modern economy.