Parliament's restoration and renewal programme 'must not be derailed by political point scoring', says FDA
Responding to reports that the Prime Minister has asked officials responsible for the restoration and renewal project to consider relocating Parliament to York, FDA National Officer for the House of Commons, Helen Kenny, yesterday said:
“The government should be focussed on efforts to make the existing buildings on the parliamentary estate safe for members and staff, rather than wasting time dreaming up new ways to further delay the restoration project.
“The existing plan for a full decant of both Commons and Lords, previously agreed by MPs, offers the best outcome both in terms of health and safety and value for money, and should get under way without further delay. The restoration and renewal programme must not be derailed by political point scoring.
“It is clear that the health and safety of the thousands of staff who work so hard to keep parliament functioning remains a secondary consideration to party politics.”
Notes for Editors
- The FDA is the union for senior managers and professionals in public service, representing more than 18,000 members at grades HEO and above. Membership includes senior civil servants, government policy advisors, prosecutors, diplomats, tax professionals, economists, solicitors and other professionals working across the Government and the NHS.
- The FDA (formerly the First Division Association) should be referred to simply as "The FDA" and can be described as "the senior public servants' union".
- The FDA can be found on Twitter @FDA_union and at www.fda.org.uk. General Secretary Dave Penman tweets as @FDAGenSec.
- For more information contact:
- FDA Communications Officer Tommy Newell on 07738 729 145 or email@example.com
- FDA Communications Officer Scott Dobson on 07727 869 640 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- FDA Head of Communications Kay Hender on 07980 700 747 or email@example.com
Latest News from
FDA calls for pay reform at NCA05/05/2021 16:05:00
The FDA has published its evidence to the National Crime Agency's Pay Review Body, calling for a pay rise for NCA staff and for a quicker pace of pay reform.
Sonia Khan: Statement on employment tribunal claim16/11/2020 14:10:00
Former Treasury Special Adviser Sonia Khan recently (13 November 2020) issued a statement on employment tribunal claim.
Northern Ireland ministers “must ensure they do not put partisan interests ahead of effective government” says FDA25/09/2020 14:10:00
FDA National Officer Allan Sampson yesterday responded to the announcement that the First and Deputy First Ministers of Northern Ireland had failed to appoint a new head of the Northern Ireland Civil Service.
Welsh Government must revise funding to save our museums10/08/2020 12:25:00
The Senedd’s Culture, Welsh Language and Communications Committee has now published its report on the impact of the COVID-19 outbreak on heritage, museums and archives in Wales.
Welsh Government must act to ensure national treasures remain accessible to all, says FDA27/07/2020 10:20:00
The FDA has called on the Welsh Government to invest whatever is needed to protect Welsh national treasures and to ensure everyone in Wales continues to have access to their cultural history.
'All we are asking is for the judiciary to follow government guidance'- FDA writes to the Lord Chief Justice14/07/2020 15:38:00
As the recognised union for prosecutors working in the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), the FDA has raised serious concerns with the Lord Chief Justice over the approach taken by some judges to applications from prosecutors to appear in court remotely.
Culture sector rescue package highlights failure of current funding models07/07/2020 12:25:00
The FDA represents staff working in museums and galleries across the UK.
Departure of Sir Mark Sedwill: FDA response29/06/2020 16:20:00
FDA General Secretary Dave Penman yesterday responded to the departure of Cabinet Secretary Sir Mark Sedwill.
FDA welcomes ‘historic moment for House of Commons’ as MPs put trust in independent process24/06/2020 16:20:00
FDA Assistant General Secretary Amy Leversidge yesterday responded to the House of Commons debate on establishing the new Independent Expert Panel to deal with complaints of bullying and harassment against MPs.