Quarterly National Accounts Scotland 2017, Q2
A National Statistics Publication for Scotland.
The latest publication of Quarterly National Accounts Scotland (QNAS) was announced today by Scotland’s Chief Statistician. This publication includes statistics for the second quarter of 2017 (April-June). Key statistics in the publication are:
- Over the latest 12 months, from July 2016 to June 2017, the value of Scotland’s onshore GDP is estimated at £150.9 billion in total, or £27,857 per person, in current prices.
- Including a geographical share of UK extra-regio (offshore and overseas) economic activity, Scottish GDP is estimated at £161.0 billion in total, or £29,723 per person during the latest 12 months.
- Over the year to 2017 Q2, compared to 2016 Q2, the expenditure measure of onshore Gross Domestic Product shows that the increase in GDP in current prices (not real terms) was mostly driven by consumer spending, but with positive contributions also made by government spending and net trade. Capital investment made a negative contribution to GDP growth over the latest year.
- Manufactured Exports make up around half of the total value of exports from Scotland to the rest of the world (excluding oil and gas). The Index of Manufactured Exports (IME) decreased by 0.4% in volume terms during the second quarter of 2017. On a rolling annual basis, comparing the most recent four quarters to the previous four quarters, the volume of manufactured exports decreased by 0.6%.
- Over the year to 2017 Quarter 2, total consumer spending by the Household and Non-Profit Institutions Serving Households (NPISH) sectors is estimated to have increased by 3.0% in current prices (unadjusted for inflation, not real terms).
- Gross Disposable Household Income (GDHI) is estimated to have increased by 1.1% over the year to 2017 Quarter 2 (in current prices, not real terms). The Household Savings Ratio is 6.4 per cent in the latest quarter, compared to an average value of 7.8 per cent during 2016.
The full statistics publication, including quarterly results back to 1998, is available at: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Statistics/Browse/Economy/QNA2017Q2
Quarterly National Accounts Scotland (QNAS) reports on a variety of economic statistics for Scotland, including components of GDP, the Index of Manufactured Exports (IME), households disposable income, and public sector revenues.
In this publication there are no updates or revisions to the headline GDP growth rate of 0.1% in the latest quarter, and 0.5% compared to the same quarter last year, published in Scotland’s Gross Domestic Product on 4 October 2017.
Further information on Scottish economic statistics is available at http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Statistics/Browse/Economy
The figures released today were produced in accordance with professional standards set out in the Code of Practice for Official Statistics. More information on the standards of official statistics in Scotland can be accessed at: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Statistics/About
Latest News from
EXPO Fund to include Celtic Connections19/01/2018 10:05:00
Fund to be made available to Glasgow event for first time.
Historic new GP contract agreed19/01/2018 08:05:00
Improved patient care and workload support for Scotland’s GPs.