Raising awareness of the perils of antimicrobial resistance
EMA to host a meeting with key stakeholders on the work of international health authorities and how to optimise collaboration
The European Medicines Agency (EMA) is organising a joint meeting with the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) to discuss antimicrobial resistance.
The event will take place at EMA’s premises in London on 19 September 2017 and will be broadcast live on the EMA website.
Antimicrobial resistance is an increasingly serious threat to global public health that requires action across all government sectors and society. A growing number of infections such as pneumonia, diarrhea caused by Clostridium difficile, or gonorrhoea, have become more and more difficult to treat because bacteria are becoming increasingly resistant to antibiotic medicines. Some common pathogens have turned into so-called ‘superbugs’ that are resistant to a whole range of antibiotics, leaving healthcare professionals with very few options to treat patients. No country or organisation can face the challenge of antimicrobial resistance alone. To win this battle a global strategy is needed.
EMA has joined efforts with ECDC and organised an informative session with illustrious speakers, intended to raise awareness on the issue and to highlight international initiatives to address the challenge. It will bring together representatives of the World Health Organization (WHO), the European Commission, the European Union (EU) Member States, patients’ and consumers’ organisations, healthcare professionals’ organisations and academia. The objectives of the meeting are to:
- raise awareness of the work of EU institutions, Member States and WHO in the fight against antimicrobial resistance;
- enhance understanding of how EMA and ECDC can support the European and global fight against antimicrobial resistance;
- discuss how to coordinate efforts on awareness and empowerment of patients, consumers and healthcare professionals.
A report on the meeting will be published on the EMA website in due course.
- European Medicines Agency Human Scientific Committees' Working Parties with Patients’ and Consumers’ Organisations (PCWP) and Healthcare Professionals’ Organisations (HCPWP) joint meeting: info session on antimicrobial resistance(19/9/2017)
- Antimicrobial resistance
- Agenda - European Medicines Agency Human Scientific Committees' Working Parties with Patients’ and Consumers’ Organisations (PCWP) and Healthcare Professionals’ Organisations (HCPWP) joint meeting: info session on antimicrobial resistance (05/09/2017)
Latest News from
EESC urges Parliament and Council to swiftly adopt the Commission proposal on safeguarding competition in air transport19/01/2018 14:25:00
The EESC backs the EC’s proposal on the long-awaited revision of the regulation on safeguarding competition in air transport.
VAT: More flexibility on VAT rates, less red tape for small businesses19/01/2018 13:25:00
The proposals are the final steps of the EC’s overhaul of VAT rules, with the creation of a single EU VAT area to dramatically reduce the €50bn lost to VAT fraud each year in the EU, while supporting business and securing government revenues.
Mergers: EC approves Qualcomm's acquisition of NXP, subject to conditions19/01/2018 12:25:00
The EC has approved the proposed acquisition of NXP, based in the Netherlands, by Qualcomm of the US. The approval is conditional on full compliance with commitments offered by Qualcomm.
India joins Designview19/01/2018 11:25:00
As of 19 January 2018 the Indian Office of the Controller General of Patents, Designs & Trade Marks (CGPDTM) has made its design data available to the Designview search tool.