Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency
Printable version

Register your trailer if you want to take it abroad

From today (28 March 2019), if you have a trailer and you plan to use it abroad, you may need to register it by using our ‘Register your trailer to take it abroad’ service.

Today, the UN 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic comes into force in the UK. This means that trailers must be registered if they are travelling through or to a country that has also signed up to the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic.

Our recent blog and information leaflet explain more about trailer registration and how the service works.

Trailers must be registered if they are:

  • commercial use trailers travelling internationally that have a gross weight over 750kg
  • non-commercial use trailers travelling internationally and have a gross weight over 3,500kg

Non-commercial trailers that have a gross weight of 3,500kg or less can be registered voluntarily, but there is no legal requirement to do it.

Once a trailer is registered through our new service, DVLA will issue a secure trailer registration certificate by post and send an email confirmation which includes authorisation to get a number plate made up for the trailer. The plates must then be displayed on the trailer and the certificate must be kept with the trailer.

By using the online service to register your trailer to take it abroad you can register a trailer for the first time, apply for a new registration certificate for a new keeper and apply for a replacement certificate. The service also allows you to register multiple trailers if you have more than one trailer that will be travelling abroad.

If you are registering a trailer that you use abroad, you may also need to think about getting:

Channel website:

Original article link:

Share this article

Latest News from
Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency

Schools Report Guaranteed Energy Savings Plus Substantial CO2 Reduction