Regulator announces inquiry into London-based educational charity
The Charity Commission has opened a statutory inquiry into a London-based think tank.
Yesterday (11th May 2023), the Charity Commission announced the opening of a statutory inquiry into The Centre for Global Studies.
The Centre for Global Studies is a London-based think tank which seeks to improve education and public understanding of economics through publishing research and organising educational events.
The inquiry was opened on the 8th August 2022 as a result of regulatory concerns about the charity and its management by its trustees. The Commission will seek to identify potential conflicts of interest which have not been effectively managed and consider whether there has been any unauthorised benefit to the trustees and/or connected persons.
As part of its inquiry, the Charity Commission has appointed interim managers to conduct a review of the charity’s governance and administration and make recommendations to the Commission. The Interim Managers, Sarah Tomlinson and Edwina Turner of Anthony Collins Solicitors LLP, were appointed on 28 April by Order of the Commission under Section 76(3)(g) of the Charities Act 2011, to the exclusion of trustees.
The scope of the inquiry includes to:
- Examine the governance of the charity, including the identification and management of conflicts of interest.
- Examine the charity’s financial controls and processes, including any unauthorised private benefit to trustees and/or connected parties, trustee expense payments and accounting for the end use of charitable funds.
- Examine the charity’s activities, including in the UK and overseas.
- Consider how best to safeguard the charity’s assets.
- Consider whether there has been misconduct and/ or mismanagement by those in control of the charity.
The Commission may extend the scope of the inquiry if additional regulatory issues emerge.
It is the Commission’s policy to publish a report upon concluding an inquiry to detail its findings, conclusions, and any regulatory action taken.
Notes to editors
- The Charity Commission is the independent, non-ministerial government department that registers and regulates charities in England and Wales. Its purpose is to ensure charity can thrive and inspire trust so that people can improve lives and strengthen society.
- Interim managers are appointed where the Commission has identified misconduct or mismanagement in the administration of a charity, and/or where there is a need to protect a charity’s property. It is a protective measure.
- The Commission understands that the trustees of The Centre for Global Studies have submitted an appeal against its decision to appoint an IM to the First-tier Tribunal (Charity).
Latest News from
Charity Commission launches new quiz for trustees to test their knowledge26/09/2023 09:20:00
The Charity Commission’s next phase of its Trustee Campaign gets underway.
Regulator publishes new guidance on charities’ social media use19/09/2023 09:20:10
The Charity Commission has issued new guidance on charities’ use of social media.
Inquiry opened into charity operating in West Africa11/09/2023 10:15:00
The regulator’s concerns relate to the charity’s financial management and record-keeping.
Charity Commission CEO to conclude term of office in 202406/09/2023 14:05:00
Dr Helen Stephenson, the Charity Commission's longest serving Chief Executive, has announced her decision to step down from her position.
Regulator’s inquiry into Care4Calais finds serious historic misconduct and/or mismanagement24/08/2023 11:15:00
Charity Commission says governance has improved significantly under new leadership.
Drama school investigated by charity regulator22/08/2023 15:10:00
Kogan Academy of Dramatic Arts has previously been issued with an Official Warning for not filing its accounting information.
Charity Commission opens inquiry into The Schwarzschild Foundation21/08/2023 09:15:00
The regulator has opened an inquiry into a charity which provides education and the relief of poverty for women and girls in the orthodox Jewish faith.
Charity Commission opens inquiry into Dalaid18/08/2023 12:20:00
The regulator has opened an inquiry into a Jewish education charity.