Report published on extent of pharmacy services in England
NHS Digital yesterday published figures on activity carried out by community pharmacies and appliance contractors1 in England.
The General Pharmaceutical Services in England 2008/09 - 2018/19 report contains information on the services supplied by community pharmacies and contractors during this period2.
Trend data in this publication is published at national level for England3. Statistics for 2018/19 has been published at NHS England regional and subregional level.
Included in the report is information on:
- The number of community pharmacies as at 31 March 2019
- The percentage of community pharmacies owned by independent contractors and multiple contractors4
- The number of prescription items5 dispensed by community pharmacies and appliance contractors6
- The number of community pharmacies that opened and closed during 2018/19
- The number of NHS flu jabs carried out by community pharmacies
- The number of medicines use reviews carried out by community pharmacies
Read the full report
Notes to Editors
- Appliance contractors provide services to people who need appliances such as stoma and incontinence care aids, trusses, hosiery, surgical stockings and dressings. They range from small sole-trader businesses to larger companies. They do not supply drugs.
- Activity shown is for the whole year and includes activity carried out by community pharmacy contractors and appliance contractors who may not have been on the list as at 31 March due to a merger or closure mid-year.
- Data provided in this publication comes from the following sources: NHS Digital, NHS Prescription Services (a division of NHS Business Services Authority), NHS England and NHS Litigation Authority Family Health Services Appeal Unit. The data collected and published assists the Department of Health (DH) to monitor the community pharmacy market and assess the impact of the current regulatory framework, particularly in relation to patient access and choice to inform and develop policy.
- A multiple contractor is defined as consisting of six pharmacies or more.
- A prescription item refers to each medicine prescribed on a prescription form. Each prescription form may include one or more prescription items; each item may attract one or more dispensing fee.
- The vast majority of the prescriptions dispensed by community pharmacy and appliance contractors are written by general practitioners, although nurses, dentists, pharmacists, other non/medical prescribers, and hospital doctors also write prescriptions. This publication excludes prescriptions dispensed by General Practitioners in rural areas (known as dispensing doctors) to those patients who have difficulty accessing a community pharmacy service. Note that these are included in other Statistical Bulletins published by NHS Digital.
NHS Digital is the national information and technology partner of the health and care system. Our team of information analysts, technology and project management experts create, deliver and manage the crucial digital systems, services, products and standards upon which health and care professionals depend. During the 2018/19 financial year, NHS Digital published 265 statistical reports. Our vision is to harness the power of information and technology to make health and care better.
For media enquiries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 0300 30 33 888. Follow us on Twitter: @NHSDigital
Latest News from
Statistics published for all routine childhood vaccinations in England in 2019-2025/09/2020 09:15:00
Coverage for all routine childhood vaccinations administered to children under five in England in 2019-20 were published yesterday.
New statistics show NHS staff sickness absence for coronavirus-related reasons24/09/2020 15:15:15
Figures reported by NHS organisations on staff sickness absence linked to coronavirus (COVID-19) have been published for the first time today.
Ultrafast full fibre broadband enables care home residents to have virtual visits24/09/2020 09:15:00
Residents of a care home can now video call their families for the first time thanks to a new ultrafast broadband connection co-ordinated by NHS Digital.
Dementia project shows digital technology can make a life-changing difference23/09/2020 09:15:00
Digital technology can bring huge benefits to the health and wellbeing of people with dementia and their carers, a pathfinder project has found.
Hospital admission statistics published18/09/2020 09:15:00
Statistics on all NHS admissions into hospitals in England in 2019-20 were yesterday published by NHS Digital.
People in most deprived areas were almost twice as likely to visit A&E as those in least deprived11/09/2020 09:15:00
There were almost twice as many attendances to Accident and Emergency departments in England for the 10% of the population living in the most deprived areas (3.1 million), compared with the least deprived 10% (1.6 million) in 2019-20, according to official figures released yesterday.
New precheck service aims to speed up NHS login application process04/09/2020 14:15:00
NHS Digital has made secure access to a variety of digital apps and services easier through NHS login thanks to a new process that allows applicants to check their photo ID in advance.
NHS Digital publishes NHS Payments to General Practice, England, 2019/20 report27/08/2020 13:15:00
NHS Digital has today published the NHS Payments to General Practice in England annual report.
New figures on patients seen by dentists show changes during closure period27/08/2020 12:15:00
A report published by NHS Digital today shows the number of patients seen by NHS dentists within recommended timeframes, up to June 2020. This includes the period when dentists were closed for routine care due to coronavirus (COVID-19).