Report published on extent of pharmacy services in England
NHS Digital yesterday published figures on activity carried out by community pharmacies and appliance contractors1 in England.
The General Pharmaceutical Services in England 2008/09 - 2018/19 report contains information on the services supplied by community pharmacies and contractors during this period2.
Trend data in this publication is published at national level for England3. Statistics for 2018/19 has been published at NHS England regional and subregional level.
Included in the report is information on:
- The number of community pharmacies as at 31 March 2019
- The percentage of community pharmacies owned by independent contractors and multiple contractors4
- The number of prescription items5 dispensed by community pharmacies and appliance contractors6
- The number of community pharmacies that opened and closed during 2018/19
- The number of NHS flu jabs carried out by community pharmacies
- The number of medicines use reviews carried out by community pharmacies
Read the full report
Notes to Editors
- Appliance contractors provide services to people who need appliances such as stoma and incontinence care aids, trusses, hosiery, surgical stockings and dressings. They range from small sole-trader businesses to larger companies. They do not supply drugs.
- Activity shown is for the whole year and includes activity carried out by community pharmacy contractors and appliance contractors who may not have been on the list as at 31 March due to a merger or closure mid-year.
- Data provided in this publication comes from the following sources: NHS Digital, NHS Prescription Services (a division of NHS Business Services Authority), NHS England and NHS Litigation Authority Family Health Services Appeal Unit. The data collected and published assists the Department of Health (DH) to monitor the community pharmacy market and assess the impact of the current regulatory framework, particularly in relation to patient access and choice to inform and develop policy.
- A multiple contractor is defined as consisting of six pharmacies or more.
- A prescription item refers to each medicine prescribed on a prescription form. Each prescription form may include one or more prescription items; each item may attract one or more dispensing fee.
- The vast majority of the prescriptions dispensed by community pharmacy and appliance contractors are written by general practitioners, although nurses, dentists, pharmacists, other non/medical prescribers, and hospital doctors also write prescriptions. This publication excludes prescriptions dispensed by General Practitioners in rural areas (known as dispensing doctors) to those patients who have difficulty accessing a community pharmacy service. Note that these are included in other Statistical Bulletins published by NHS Digital.
NHS Digital is the national information and technology partner of the health and care system. Our team of information analysts, technology and project management experts create, deliver and manage the crucial digital systems, services, products and standards upon which health and care professionals depend. During the 2018/19 financial year, NHS Digital published 265 statistical reports. Our vision is to harness the power of information and technology to make health and care better.
For media enquiries please contact email@example.com or telephone 0300 30 33 888. Follow us on Twitter: @NHSDigital
Latest News from
Experimental waiting times data for autism services published for first time14/11/2019 13:25:00
Partial statistics on waiting times for people in contact with autism services have been published today by NHS Digital.
Strong showing for NHS Digital as four shortlisted for prestigious ‘Women in IT’ awards12/11/2019 11:15:00
Women in NHS Digital have been shortlisted for four different Women in IT awards from the Women in IT Global Initiative.
Painkiller use in childbirth drops six percentage points in a decade01/11/2019 09:15:00
The use of analgesics or anaesthetics before or during delivery has dropped from 67% of all deliveries in 2008-09 to 61% in 2018-19, new figures released by NHS Digital show.
New social media techniques used to boost cancer screening rates30/10/2019 14:15:00
Hundreds of practice nurses across the country have been taught how social media can improve health thanks to the success of one of NHS Digital’s Widening Digital Participation projects.
Annual Quality Outcomes Framework (QOF) report for England published24/10/2019 14:15:00
Figures showing the recorded prevalence of 21 conditions, including asthma, hypertension, dementia, diabetes, and depression are published today by NHS Digital.
Three reports providing official adult social care statistics released by NHS Digital23/10/2019 09:15:00
NHS Digital yesterday published three reports which include the latest statistics on those in receipt of adult social care in England.
Universal electronic prescriptions could save NHS £300m in next three years21/10/2019 13:28:00
Prescription processing is to become digital by default as the final phase of the Electronic Prescription Service (EPS) is rolled out across the country.
Successful suppliers announced for new GP IT Futures framework21/10/2019 12:48:00
Nearly 70 GP IT system suppliers are to be awarded contracts to supply IT systems via the new GP IT Futures framework.