Reports on adult safeguarding and deferred payment agreements published today
The latest information on adult safeguarding and deferred payment agreements during 2018/19 has been released today by NHS Digital in two reports.
The report on safeguarding adults provides details of how many safeguarding concerns were raised during the year, how many safeguarding enquiries2 were started and how many were completed within that year under Section 42 of the Care Act 20143.
Safeguarding Adults England, 2018-191 collects information from Councils with Adult Social Services Responsibilities (CASSRs) and breaks the enquiries down by the type, location and source of risk, as well as outcome.
It also provides a demographic analysis of those individuals who were the subject of a Section 42 enquiry that started within the year.
The Safeguarding Adults Collection only includes cases of suspected abuse where a local authority safeguarding service has been notified and has entered details onto their system4. It does not include cases where partner agencies have dealt with the allegation and not shared the information with the local authority. It is likely that there are cases of abuse that have not been reported to local authorities.
Further analysis of the safeguarding adults data is available at local, regional and national levels, on request.
Also published today is the Deferred Payment Agreements (DPA) Report, England 2018-19, which provides information on the number and associated value of adult social care deferred payment agreements in England for 2018-195.
A deferred payment agreement is an arrangement with the local authority that enables people to use the value of their homes to help pay for care home costs. If eligible, the local authority will help to pay a client’s care home bills on their behalf. The client can delay repaying the local authority until they choose to sell their home, or until after their death.
This is the fourth year of the DPA collection however this is the second year that all data items are mandatory6.
Read the full reports:
Notes to Editors
- This is the fourth year of the Safeguarding Adults Collection since safeguarding became a statutory duty under the Care Act 2014. Due to changes in terminology and definitions, care must be taken when comparing data in this report to those published in the Safeguarding Adults Report in 2013-14 and 2014-15.
- A safeguarding concern is where a council is notified about a risk of abuse, which instigates an investigation under the local safeguarding procedures. The initial investigation may then develop into a formal investigation, known as an enquiry. Enquiries categorised as opened during the reporting year may not necessarily have concluded during the reporting year.
- Details of Section 42 of the Care Act 2014 can be found here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2014/23/section/42/enacted
- The Safeguarding Adults report is accompanied by a Data Quality Statement and a quantitative data quality assessment based on the completeness of the data submitted and a number of logical data consistency checks. Submissions were received from all 152 CASSRs in England.
- The Deferred Payment Agreements report contains aggregate information submitted by all 152 CASSRs in England for the period 1 April 2018 to 31 March 2019.
- The DPA data collection was introduced in 2015, and the first data collected related to DPAs active between 1 April 2015 and 31 March 2016. The 2015-16 collection was voluntary to submit and 56 local authorities provided data. The 2016-17 collection was mandatory, but a large portion of the return was voluntary. The 2017-18 collection was fully mandatory and did not contain any voluntary elements. In 2016-17 the DPA data was published as part of the Adult Social Care Activity and Finance Report.
NHS Digital is the national information and technology partner of the health and care system. Our team of information analysis, technology and project management experts create, deliver and manage the crucial digital systems, services, products and standards upon which health and care professionals depend. During the 2018-19 financial year, NHS Digital published 287 statistical reports. Our vision is to harness the power of information and technology to make health and care better.
For media enquiries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 0300 30 33 888. Follow us on Twitter: @NHSDigital
Latest News from
Hospital admission statistics published18/09/2020 09:15:00
Statistics on all NHS admissions into hospitals in England in 2019-20 were yesterday published by NHS Digital.
People in most deprived areas were almost twice as likely to visit A&E as those in least deprived11/09/2020 09:15:00
There were almost twice as many attendances to Accident and Emergency departments in England for the 10% of the population living in the most deprived areas (3.1 million), compared with the least deprived 10% (1.6 million) in 2019-20, according to official figures released yesterday.
New precheck service aims to speed up NHS login application process04/09/2020 14:15:00
NHS Digital has made secure access to a variety of digital apps and services easier through NHS login thanks to a new process that allows applicants to check their photo ID in advance.
NHS Digital publishes NHS Payments to General Practice, England, 2019/20 report27/08/2020 13:15:00
NHS Digital has today published the NHS Payments to General Practice in England annual report.
New figures on patients seen by dentists show changes during closure period27/08/2020 12:15:00
A report published by NHS Digital today shows the number of patients seen by NHS dentists within recommended timeframes, up to June 2020. This includes the period when dentists were closed for routine care due to coronavirus (COVID-19).
More GP practices and community pharmacies go live with electronic notifications for urgent supply of medicines27/08/2020 11:15:00
NHS Digital is rolling out electronic notifications which inform GPs when one of their patients receives an urgent supply of medicine from a community pharmacy.
New electronic discharge summaries save the NHS time and admin costs26/08/2020 16:05:00
Hospitals across England will soon be able to send secure and standardised clinical patient discharge summaries and outpatient attendance information electronically to GP systems following a successful first of type by NHS Digital, TPP and Dorset County Hospital working with Independent Systems Integrators.
New framework launched to help NHS and public sector organisations manage cyber threats21/08/2020 09:15:00
A cyber security services framework has been launched for the NHS and public sector, which can be used to procure external support and services to help manage cyber security risks, increase resilience, and recover in the event of an incident.