National Crime Agency
Rucksack duo lose their freedom and their money
A forfeiture hearing has seen €380,000 and £55,000 taken from two men who were sentenced to eight years imprisonment for money laundering.
The men were arrested in November 2016 after officers from the joint NCA and Met Police Organised Crime Partnership (OCP) stopped Yuanbin Zhao who was carrying a rucksack outside an address in Barrett Street, West London.
On searching the rucksack officers recovered approximately €300,000 including bundles of €500 notes. In 2010, UK money exchanges stopped selling €500 notes after analysis suggested up to 90% of them were in the hands of organised crime.
When officers entered the Barrett Street address, they found a second man, Li Wu, with three phones in front of him and a further nine phones in boxes. There was also a money counting machine and another quantity of cash in sterling and euros, which had been compressed to minimize their bulk. In total the cash seized was €388,000 and £55,500.
Officers also recovered some paperwork in Chinese and English listing names against figures ranging from £5k to 50k, adding up to £355,000.
Yuanbin Zhao (pictured above, right), pleaded guilty, and in May after a five day trial Li Wu (above, left) was found guilty of money laundering.
A judge at Kingston Crown Court jailed them on Thursday 15 June, and the following day a judge ordered them to forfeit the cash under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002, ruling that the money seized was the proceeds of crime.
Stephen Borg of the OCP said: “Organised crime groups rely on money launderers to benefit from and re-invest their criminal profits.
"Taking money launderers out of the chain, as we have done here, makes life far more difficult and more risky for criminals trying to clean their dirty cash.”
Latest News from
National Crime Agency
Money launderers paid £1.8m drugs money into banks in just two weeks22/11/2017 13:15:00
A group of Chinese money launderers paid more than £1.8 million in criminal cash into London high street banks in a period of just two weeks.
Fifth conviction in chatroom child abuse investigation21/11/2017 09:15:00
A man who was using a chatroom when the rape of a six-year-old boy was being live streamed has become the fifth offender to be convicted following a National Crime Agency investigation.
Three men assaulted teenage girl after plying her with alcohol17/11/2017 13:15:00
Three men have been found guilty of indecently assaulting a girl under the age of 14 following the first trial under Operation Stovewood.
OAP told child victim “it’s ok to be excited”14/11/2017 15:15:15
A pensioner has been sentenced to 40 months in jail after repeatedly trying to engage children in sexual activity.