Scottish Fish Farm Production Survey 2019
An Official Statistics Publication for Scotland.
Marine Scotland Science today published the Scottish Fish Farm Production Survey 2019. The publication details statistics on the employment and production from Scottish fish farms. It is structured to follow industry trends within the farmed Atlantic salmon, rainbow trout and other species sectors. Some statistics are given for the 21-year period 1999-2019.
The main findings are;
- In 2019, production of Atlantic salmon increased by 47,856 tonnes (30.7%) to 203,881 tonnes. This is the highest ever level of production recorded in Scotland
- The total number of smolts produced in 2019 increased by 4.3 million (9%) to 51.4 million, this is the highest annual smolt production recorded in Scotland
- Production tonnage of rainbow trout increased by 15% in 2019 to 7,405 tonnes
- Brown and sea trout production increased from 20 tonnes in 2018 to 25 tonnes in 2019
- The total number of staff employed in marine salmon production during 2019 increased by 185 to 1,651 staff
The survey is compiled from data collected directly from authorised fish farming businesses. The full statistical publication for 2019 can be accessed.
Official statistics are produced in accordance with the Code of Practice for Statistics.
Latest News from
Supporting health and social care staff27/11/2020 16:15:00
Key workers are using National Wellbeing Hub.
Transforming Scotland’s convenience store sector27/11/2020 14:15:00
Increasing sales of fresh, healthy Scottish produce.
Sheku Bayoh Public Inquiry to begin next week27/11/2020 10:05:00
The independent Public Inquiry into the circumstances surrounding the death of Sheku Bayoh will begin next Monday, 30 November, Justice Secretary Humza Yousaf has announced.
Carers urged to seek support27/11/2020 08:05:00
Still Game star highlights valued work of the country’s carers in new campaign.
Testing expansion update26/11/2020 15:05:00
New testing approach set out for health and social care sector and communities.
Guidance for students returning home26/11/2020 12:05:00
Plans for mass testing of asymptomatic students.
Vital support to offset Brexit damage26/11/2020 10:05:00
Measures to help protect health services, the economy and communities.
Monthly GDP Estimates for September26/11/2020 08:05:00
Scotland’s GDP increased by 1.6% in September, according to statistics announced yesterday by the Chief Statistician.