Scottish Secretary comments on July GDP figures
Reacting to the latest GDP figures, Scottish Secretary Alister Jack says we must build back better, stronger and greener.
Scottish Secretary Alister Jack recently said:
Today’s figures underline that there are challenges ahead, and that our focus must remain on a sustainable recovery.
Our Plan For Jobs is helping people in all parts of the United Kingdom get back to work and we’ve invested £1.5 billion in growth deals across Scotland, while communities all over the country will see great benefits from our new Levelling Up and Community Renewal Funds.
This all comes on top of the UK Government’s unprecedented package of support which has seen an additional £14.5billion funding provided to the Scottish Government.
Thanks to the UK Government funded vaccine programme, including the new booster vaccine and rollout of jabs for 12-15 year olds, we will build back better, stronger and greener for the benefit of generations to come.
- The UK Government’s furlough scheme, extended until the end of September 2021, paid up to 80 percent of wages. The self-employed support scheme, was also extended to the end of September 2021. The furlough scheme in Scotland supported cumulatively more than 900,000 jobs alone.
- More than 100,000 businesses in Scotland have been supported from UK Government business loans worth £4 billion.
- The UK Government has provided billions in extra funding for the welfare system for those unable to access other forms of support.
- This direct support is on top of the additional £14.5 billion provided to the Government since the start of the pandemic.
- Our new Health and Social Care Levy will help provide the Scottish Government with up to £1 billion a year in additional funding for health from 2022-23
- The UK Government is investing billions to help people of all ages back into work, including our £2 billion Kickstart scheme for young people, sector work programmes and recruitment of thousands of additional Work Coaches.
- The UK Government continues to provide the bulk of Covid testing in Scotland and has moved quickly to buy vaccines for distribution across all parts of the UK. The UK Government is providing all Covid testing in Scotland outside of the NHS.
Latest News from
UK agrees transition toward new global tax system22/10/2021 15:20:00
The UK yesterday (21 October 2021) agreed a route forward to transition away from its Digital Services Tax (DST) towards a new global tax system that will ensure multinationals pay their fair share in the countries where they do business.
Statement on transition to new Pillar 1 international tax rules22/10/2021 13:20:00
The United Kingdom, Austria, France, Italy, Spain and the United States Announce Agreement on the Transition from Existing Digital Services Taxes to New Multilateral Solution Agreed by the OECD-G20 Inclusive Framework.
Second UK Green Gilt raises further £6 billion for green projects22/10/2021 11:10:00
The second sale of the UK’s Green Gilt has raised a further £6 billion to help fund green projects across the country, drive progress to net zero and create jobs across the UK.
Prime Minister's automotive roundtable: 19 October 202120/10/2021 13:28:00
Prime Minister Boris Johnson met with representatives of the automotive sector to discuss the UK’s electric vehicle revolution.
Chancellor sets new standards for environmental reporting to weed out greenwashing and support transition to a greener financial system19/10/2021 15:20:00
Certain large businesses will need to set out their green credentials to potential investors under new world-leading reporting rules outlined yesterday by the Chancellor.
Global Investment Summit Speech19/10/2021 11:10:00
The Chancellor made a speech at the Global Investment Summit today (18 October 2021).
UK and Scottish governments agree first stage of the Fiscal Framework Review15/10/2021 14:25:00
The UK Government and Scottish Government yesterday (14 October 2021) agreed in principle the scope of the independent report that will inform the subsequent review of the Scottish Government’s Fiscal Framework.
G7 Finance Ministers agree to work together to address global supply chain pressures14/10/2021 12:05:00
The Chancellor has welcomed an agreement from G7 Finance Ministers to work together to monitor supply chain pressures as the global economy rebounds from the pandemic.