Summary information published on NHS e-Referral Service
Anonymous summary data on the number of hospital bookings using the NHS e-Referral Service (e-RS) was published yesterday for the first time as an open dataset.
The management information is published as an interactive dashboard and an open data file, and includes weekly data on referrals2, bookings3 and appointment slot issues (ASIs)4 performed through e-RS between October 1 2019 and May 30 2020.
This information is broken down by CCG (parent of referring organisation)5, priority (excluding booking data), specialty and clinic type.
The data does not include those patients that have had a referral, booking or attempted booking outside of e-RS.
e-RS provides an easy way for patients to choose their first hospital or clinic appointment with a specialist. Bookings can be made by the patient online, using the telephone, or directly in the GP surgery at the time of referral.
Under the NHS Standard Contract, all GPs in England use e-RS to make all referrals to consultant-led outpatient services.
This CCG-level data is being made available to a wider audience to allow for its use in public health – enabling greater analysis, modelling and planning to be performed.
The dataset will be updated on a monthly basis and feedback is welcome here: firstname.lastname@example.org Please reference “NHS e-RS Open Dataset feedback” in the title of the email.
Follow us on Twitter: @NHSDigital
Notes for Editors
- NHS Digital is the national information and technology partner of the health and care system. Our team of information analysis, technology and project management experts create, deliver and manage the crucial digital systems, services, products and standards upon which health and care professionals depend. During the 2019-20 financial year, NHS Digital published 285 statistical reports. Our vision is to harness the power of information and technology to make health and care better.
- e-RS referral data – a referral is defined as a request to another clinician to assist with management of a patient's health issue, this may result in creating an appointment request with a shortlist of suitable services, into one of which the patient may book an appointment. Each referral has a unique booking reference number.
- e-RS bookings data - includes the number of successful initial bookings made as the result of a referral. A booking may be made at the same time as a referral, or at a later date. It includes bookings of referrals previously on the Appointment Slot Issues (ASI) worklist, provided the provider updates the e-referral system with the booking information.
- e-RS appointment slot issue (ASI) data - during the appointment booking process e-RS will allow the referral to enter the ASI process if there are no slots available for booking at the time of the appointment search. This action is called ‘Defer to Provider’. Each time the referral is deferred the referral will appear on the service providers ‘Appointment Slot Issues’ worklist. It is this action we are reporting.
- Only activity attributed to English CCGs, and other English organisations is included in this analysis. As the CCG is based on the postcode of the referring organisation, it is possible that patients are interacting with services in England but resident in other countries outside of England i.e. Scotland, Wales and the Channel Islands.
- For media enquiries please contact email@example.com or telephone 0300 30 33 888.
Latest News from
New statistics released on talking therapies in England31/07/2020 09:15:00
New annual figures have been released by NHS Digital on referrals to talking therapies in England during 2019-20.
NHS Digital director nominated for British Ex-Forces In Business Award28/07/2020 11:15:00
Ian Phoenix, NHS Digital’s Director of Citizen Health Technology, has been nominated for a British Ex-Forces In Business Lifetime Achievement Award.
Annual statistical report into Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) published23/07/2020 11:15:00
NHS Digital has today published the Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) Enhanced Dataset annual report 2019/20.
New information shows healthcare activity and outcomes for the shielded population22/07/2020 09:15:00
A new aggregate data set that provides information on healthcare activity and outcomes of shielded patients was yesterday published by NHS Digital.
Coronavirus test results now visible to GPs21/07/2020 09:15:00
COVID-19 test results are now being automatically sent to GP systems as well as being communicated to the individual, giving GPs visibility of which of their patients have had COVID-19 tests and whether they have tested positive or negative.
New service enables people to sign up to be contacted for COVID-19 vaccine studies20/07/2020 16:15:00
A new NHS service has been launched today (20 July) to enable people across the UK to sign up for information on COVID-19 vaccine trials.
Data collection from adult social care will aid research into coronavirus trends in care settings16/07/2020 09:15:00
The Social Care Data Collection for Pandemic Planning and Research will collect existing, anonymised data on the COVID-19 status of care givers and care receivers directly from IT systems.
NHS Digital supports cardiovascular hospital admission research published yesterday in the Lancet15/07/2020 14:15:00
New data from NHS Digital has been used by the University of Oxford for a study looking at the weekly cardiac-related hospital admissions during the COVID-19 pandemic.