WiredGov Newswire (news from other organisations)
TUC: Unionlearn publishes first ever LGBT apprenticeships guide
Unionlearn, the learning and skills organisation of the TUC, has today (Thursday) launched the first ever lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans (LGBT) inclusive guide to apprenticeships.
The new guide, published during LGBT History Month and National Apprenticeship Week, will help union reps fully support LGBT apprentices in the workplace.
LGBT inclusive apprenticeships explores the barriers LGBT people can face at work, explains workplace rights and offers practical advice on how to improve diversity.
It also stresses the importance of clear and robust policies and a zero-tolerance approach to all forms of discrimination and harassment.
The new guide follows TUC research published last year, which found that nearly 7 in 10 (68%) LGBT people reported being sexually harassed at work.
Unionlearn director Kevin Rowan said:
“Apprentices come from a wide range of backgrounds. It’s so important for all of them to feel safe at work and able to grow in their chosen profession.
“But many employers could do more to ensure their apprenticeships support lesbian, gay, bi and trans people.
“Bosses need to have policies in place to make sure their workplaces are inclusive – and they need to ensure those policies are working.
“I’d advise any apprentice to join their union. Unions are working hard to build inclusive workplaces and to negotiate effective policies to make working life better for everyone.”
- The new unionlearn guide LGBT inclusive apprenticeships is available at: www.tuc.org.uk/LGBTapprenticeships
- The guide is part of a series of resources unionlearn has produced to provide detailed guidance on apprenticeship issues relating to women in under-represented industries, black, minority and ethnic workers and disabled workers. For more information about unionlearn please visit: www.unionlearn.org.uk
- TUC research on LGBT sexual harassment is available at www.tuc.org.uk/research-analysis/reports/sexual-harassment-lgbt-people-workplace
- National Apprenticeship Week runs from Monday 3 to Friday 7 February 2020. For more information please visit: www.gov.uk/government/news/save-the-date-national-apprenticeship-week-2020-to-be-held-3-to-7-february-2020
- LGBT History Month is every February: https://lgbtplushistorymonth.co.uk/
- The Trades Union Congress (TUC) exists to make the working world a better place for everyone. We bring together more than 5.5 million working people who make up our 48 member unions. We support unions to grow and thrive, and we stand up for everyone who works for a living.
TUC press office
020 7467 1248
Latest News from
WiredGov Newswire (news from other organisations)
TUC sounds alarm over “stark” Covid mortality rates in insecure jobs16/04/2021 14:15:00
The TUC recently (Friday) released new analysis which shows that Covid-19 mortality rates during the pandemic are twice as high in insecure jobs than in other professions.
CBI Northern Ireland responds to easing of Covid restrictions16/04/2021 12:15:00
CBI Northern Ireland yesterday responded to easing of Covid restrictions.
NHS Confederation - NHS provides huge amount but still faces major challenges16/04/2021 10:05:00
Danny Mortimer, chief executive of the NHS Confederation, commented on the latest performance stats for the NHS in England
Optimism rises among financial services firms in quarter to March - CBI/PwC survey15/04/2021 15:15:15
Optimism among financial services firms improved at the fastest rate since December 2013 despite business volumes stalling, according to the latest CBI/PWC survey.
TUC – compulsory vaccinations for care staff is “ill-thought through”15/04/2021 14:15:00
TUC General Secretary Frances O’Grady yesterday commented on the announcement of compulsory vaccinations for care staff
LGA responds to coronavirus grant scheme extension15/04/2021 11:05:00
Cllr Richard Watts, Chair of the Local Government Association’s Resources Board, responded to the Government’s announcement that a coronavirus grant scheme providing help with food and bills for vulnerable households has been extended until June
RoSPA and NEBOSH sign MoU to enhance safety at work and beyond14/04/2021 14:25:00
RoSPA and NEBOSH have signed a Memorandum of Understanding to further their close, long-established working relationship.
Audit Wales - Welsh Government and NHS Shared Services responded well in challenging circumstances to source Personal Protective Equipment14/04/2021 12:05:00
Working collaboratively, NHS Shared Services and other public services overcame early challenges to provide health and care bodies with the required PPE without running out of stock at a national level.
NHS Confederation - Updated vaccination guidance welcome but caution still needed14/04/2021 11:05:00
Ruth Rankine, director of the NHS Confederation’s PCN Network, commenting on the updated vaccination guidance from the JCVI
GDP: Sectors with greatest ground to make up need more targeted support13/04/2021 14:05:00
TUC General Secretary Frances O’Grady has commented on today’s (Tuesday) GDP figures, which show a small gain in February, but the economy still 7.8% below pre-pandemic peak and consumer-facing services 18.6% below pre-pandemic levels.