WiredGov Newswire (news from other organisations)
TUC: Unions call for cross-party commission to agree climate emergency plans
The TUC yesterday (Monday) published A just transition to a greener, fairer economy – a roadmap to meeting the needs of working people in the transition to a low-carbon economy.
It was launched at an event yesterday, with speakers including Shadow Environment Secretary Rebecca Long-Bailey and Deputy Chair of the Committee on Climate Change Baroness Brown.
The roadmap sets out proposals for:
- A Just Transition Commission: a cross-party national commission including business, consumers and unions to plan a clear and funded path to a low-carbon economy.
- Workplace Transition Agreements: to put workers’ voices at the heart of transition plans in every workplace where change is required.
- Transition skills funding: so that every worker has access to training in the new skills needed for a low carbon economy, and guaranteed pathways to new work.
- Employment standard protections: to ensure new jobs in the low carbon economy are not of lower quality than jobs that are changed or superseded.
TUC General Secretary Frances O’Grady yesterday said:
“Trade unions are committed to addressing the climate emergency. A greener economy can be a fairer economy too, with new work and better jobs right across Britain.
“It’s vital to avoid the mistakes of the 1980s, when industrial change devastated communities because workers had no say. This time we need a plan that everyone can get behind, with workers’ voices at the heart of it.
“That’s why we’re calling for a politicians, businesses, consumers and unions to make those plans together, through a Just Transition Commission.”
- Just Transition roadmap: The full document A just transition to a greener, fairer economy can be found herehttps://www.tuc.org.uk/sites/default/files/A_Just_Transition_To_A_Greener_Fairer_Economy.pdf
- Launch event: The event takes place at 2.30pm in Congress House. A small number of places are available to journalists. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to attend.
- International commitment to Just Transition: The Paris Agreement of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change included a commitment to a ‘just transition of the workforce and the creation of decent work and quality jobs’. As of May 2019, the agreement has been signed by 194 states including the UK.
Latest News from
WiredGov Newswire (news from other organisations)
Financial Reporting Council v Sports Direct International plc19/02/2020 14:25:00
The Court of Appeal has partially allowed Sports Direct’s appeal against the judgment of Mr Justice Arnold in relation to the provision of privileged material to the FRC.
CBI responds to new UK immigration system19/02/2020 13:25:00
Carolyn Fairbairn, CBI Director-General, said: “Getting a new immigration system right on day one will be critical for economic growth and the UK’s global reputation as it forges a new path outside the EU.
TUC: Government must ban zero-hours contracts19/02/2020 12:25:00
TUC General Secretary Frances O’Grady commented on figures published yesterday (Tuesday) by the ONS which show a record 974,000 people in employment on a “zero-hour contract” in their main job – representing a record 3.0% of all people in employment
Unite: Health visitor outcry as services for vulnerable Greenwich mums face axe19/02/2020 11:25:00
Vulnerable young families in the London borough of Greenwich face being left with inadequate support because of plans to dissolve the area’s Family Nursing Partnership (FNP) programme, Unite, the union, warned yesterday (Tuesday 18 February).
Welsh language services available at Companies House18/02/2020 16:05:00
We offer a Welsh language service for all our customers who want to communicate with us in Welsh.
TUC: Hywel Dda University Health Board signs TUC’s Dying to Work Charter18/02/2020 13:15:00
TUC Dying to Work Charter protects rights at work for those facing a terminal illness. Campaign began in 2016 following Derbyshire sales manager losing her job after cancer diagnosis.
LGA responds to funding announced for domestic abuse refuge services18/02/2020 12:40:00
Cllr Simon Blackburn, Chair of the Local Government Association’s Safer and Stronger Communities Board, responded to money announced by the Government to help fund domestic abuse refuge services
FRC advice to companies and auditors on coronavirus risk disclosures18/02/2020 11:15:00
The Financial Reporting Council (FRC) has today published guidance for companies on disclosure of risks and other reporting consequences arising from the emergence and spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19).
CIPD - Public sector employment confidence at 12-year high with women set to benefit18/02/2020 09:40:00
An increase in hiring intentions among public sector employers looks set to support further employment growth in the UK, according to the latest Labour Market Outlook report from the CIPD and The Adecco Group
UK Space Agency: First Solar Orbiter instrument sends measurements17/02/2020 14:05:00
First measurements by a Solar Orbiter science instrument reached the ground on Thursday, providing a confirmation to the international science teams that the magnetometer on board is in a good shape following a successful deployment of the spacecraft’s instrument boom.