Tackling antibiotic resistance in China: apply for business funds
UK businesses can apply for a share of up to £10 million to work with partners in China on innovative approaches to dealing with antimicrobial resistance.
The Department of Health and Social Care, working with Innovate UK, has up to £10 million in Official Development Assistance funding to invest in UK-China research and development projects into antibiotic resistance.
Tackling drug-resistant infections
Failure to tackle growing drug-resistant infections could lead to an extra 10 million deaths a year worldwide and cost the global economy $100 trillion by 2050.
China has brought together 14 ministries, including health, food and drugs, and agriculture in a national effort to tackle antimicrobial resistance.
The Chinese Ministry of Science and Technology will invest up to 60 million RMB to fund the Chinese partners in this competition.
Economic and societal benefit
Projects that could be funded under the competition include:
- combining antibiotics with traditional Chinese medicines and isolating the active components of these medicines
- discovery of new agents to tackle drug-resistant bacterial infections in animals and humans
- identifying new agents to increase feed energy conversion in livestock without using antibiotics or hormones
- maximising the effectiveness of current antibiotics
- improving diagnosis, surveillance and treatment of bacterial infections and antibacterial resistance
Projects must demonstrate that they are directly relevant to the needs of people in low and middle-income countries and provide a clear economic and societal benefit.
- the competition is open, and the deadline for registration is at midday on 30 May 2018
- projects must be led in the UK by a business and include at least one UK academic organisation, one business based in China and one academic or research organisation based in China
- we expect UK project costs to be between £850,000 and £1.2 million and to last up to 36 months
- up to £750,000 will be available in grant funding for the UK partners in a consortium
- a briefing event takes place on 18 April 2018
Latest News from
Partner with Singapore on disruptive projects: apply for funding18/06/2019 09:10:00
Organisations can apply for a share of £1 million to work with Singaporean companies.
New £153 million programme to commercialise UK’s quantum tech14/06/2019 12:25:00
£153 million Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund funding, alongside £205 million from industry, will support commercialisation of quantum technologies.
£7.8 million to drive forward innovative ideas to transform railways13/06/2019 17:03:00
The UK's rail network is set to become more efficient, greener and cleaner thanks to new funding for innovative ideas.
Partner in international quantum research: apply for funding11/06/2019 13:20:00
Organisations can apply for a share of £1 million to develop AI and quantum technologies in international partnerships.
Revitalising UK aerospace: funding for projects11/06/2019 09:10:00
Projects that could bolster the UK aerospace industry through smart, more energy-efficient technologies are invited to participate in a regular call for ideas.
Innovate UK releases 2019-2020 Delivery Plan10/06/2019 15:12:00
Innovate UK sets out plan to drive sustainable economic growth through business-led innovation.
Digital technology for adult social care: apply for funding04/06/2019 12:25:00
Organisations can apply for a share of up to £1.25 million to develop technology that creates more efficient and effective adult social care systems.
Smart, affordable global energy systems: apply for funding04/06/2019 09:10:00
Organisations can apply for a share of up to £22 million to help provide clean, affordable and secure energy in sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia.