HM Revenue and Customs
Tax credit renewal – one week to go
With one week until the 31 July renewal deadline, HMRC is urging the remaining 960,000 customers to renew now or risk having their payments stopped.
The online renewals system is now easier and more accessible. It allows customers to track the process of their renewal, receive email confirmation once submitted, and removes the need to scan or type in the barcode number from the back of the renewals pack.
Last year 410,000 customers had their payments stopped or altered because they missed the deadline to inform HMRC of changes to their circumstances. These include changes to working hours, income and childcare costs and can be done through GOV.UK or via the HMRC app.
Rachel McLean, HMRC’s interim Director General of Customer Services, said:
We’ve made some really helpful improvements this year to our online and app services to support our customers. We know life can be hectic so the start and stop feature allows customers to begin and complete their renewal on a day and time convenient for them.
It’s fantastic that 32,000 have used our app and 733,000 customers have already renewed their tax credits online. I urge customers who have yet to renew their tax credits to do so as soon as possible, thereby avoiding having their payments stopped. The 31 July deadline is fast approaching.
Online help and information on renewing tax credits is available on GOV.UK and via HMRC’s customer service Twitter feed @HMRCcustomers. Support is also available on the tax credits helpline.
Notes for Editors
- The deadline for people to renew their tax credits is 31 July 2017. Failure to renew before the deadline will mean payments are stopped and customers may have to repay the money they have received since April.
- Claimants can get help and information on renewing tax credits:
- On GOV.UK
- By tweeting @HMRCcustomers or posting on our Facebook page with general queries
- Using HMRC’s app, which is available on the App Store or Google Play Store
- Through HMRC’s webchat help service
- By calling the tax credits helpline: 0345 300 3900
- A video clip, suitable for broadcast TV and web, is available for download at here. Please display ‘Clare Merrills, HM Revenue and Customs’. No credit necessary.
- An audio clip, suitable for radio, is available for download here. The speaker is Clare Merrills of HM Revenue and Customs
- Follow HMRC’s Press Office on Twitter @HMRCpressoffice
- HMRC’s Flickr channel can be found here.
Latest News from
HM Revenue and Customs
Do you receive an Armed Forces Pension?22/11/2017 14:22:00
Have HM Revenue & Customs used the correct primary source of income to calculate your Tax Code?
Tax-Free Childcare to open to children under 616/11/2017 12:20:04
The Government is committed to supporting parents with the cost of childcare.
Trusts Registration Service registration deadline for new trusts extended10/11/2017 08:05:00
The deadline for new trusts to register is now 5 January 2018.
Agent toolkits, digital meetings, webinars, e-learning and videos07/11/2017 08:10:00
Help and support from HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) for tax agents and advisers.