The FDA welcomes clear guidance from Cabinet Office on EU referendum
Following much speculation, and argument, in the press and amongst politicians on the fairness of the recent guidance issued by Cabinet Secretary Sir Jeremy Heywood for civil servants in the run up to the EU referendum, FDA General Secretary Dave Penman said:
"The FDA welcomes the clear guidance issued by Cabinet Secretary Sir Jeremy Heywood clarifying the responsibilities of both civil servants and special advisers on the handling of papers relating to the referendum.
"Civil servants are there to support the Government of the day and that Government's policies, which in this case is to remain part of the reformed EU.
"The continued wrangling from politicians over this issue will only serve to impact upon the smooth running of government and damage the essential relationship between civil servants and ministers."
Notes for editors
- The FDA is the trade union for the UK's senior public servants and professionals. FDA membership includes more than 18,000 senior civil servants, Government policy advisors, prosecutors, diplomats, tax professionals, economists, solicitors and other professionals working across Government and the NHS.
- More about the FDA's 'New Government: New Deal' campaign can be found at www.fda.org.uk/New-Government-New-Deal
- The FDA (formerly the First Division Association) should be referred to simply as "The FDA" and can be described as "the senior public servants' union".
- The FDA can be found on Twitter @FDA_union and at www.fda.org.uk.
- For further information contact:
- Katie Lazell, Communications Officer, tel: 020 7401 5555 or 07939257985.
- Rob O'Neill, Assistant General Secretary, tel: 020 7401 5555 or 07764 655 747
Latest News from
Report attacking DWP pay shows “blatant disregard for the facts”, says FDA union15/08/2017 10:20:00
Jawad Raza, FDA National Officer for DWP yesterday responded to a report in the Mirror naming and shaming civil servants working in the DWP for their remuneration.
Ministers’ allies are peddling myths on Senior Civil Service pay, says FDA union03/08/2017 13:32:00
FDA General Secretary Dave Penman yesterday responded to reports that International Development Secretary Priti Patel has called for Senior Civil Service pay to be further “restrained”.
Senior Civil Service pay review will only succeed if ministers ditch 1% cap, says FDA19/07/2017 14:05:00
The 1% public sector pay “straitjacket” must end if the Government’s newly-announced review of Senior Civil Service pay is to have any impact, the FDA union has said.
FDA tells ministers to put their money where their mouth is over public sector pay06/07/2017 09:10:00
Writing directly to cabinet ministers who have voiced support for ending the out of date 1% cap on public sector pay, FDA General Secretary Dave Penman has said that "warm words" will not be enough and must be followed up with "concrete action".