The FDA welcomes clear guidance from Cabinet Office on EU referendum
Following much speculation, and argument, in the press and amongst politicians on the fairness of the recent guidance issued by Cabinet Secretary Sir Jeremy Heywood for civil servants in the run up to the EU referendum, FDA General Secretary Dave Penman said:
"The FDA welcomes the clear guidance issued by Cabinet Secretary Sir Jeremy Heywood clarifying the responsibilities of both civil servants and special advisers on the handling of papers relating to the referendum.
"Civil servants are there to support the Government of the day and that Government's policies, which in this case is to remain part of the reformed EU.
"The continued wrangling from politicians over this issue will only serve to impact upon the smooth running of government and damage the essential relationship between civil servants and ministers."
Notes for editors
- The FDA is the trade union for the UK's senior public servants and professionals. FDA membership includes more than 18,000 senior civil servants, Government policy advisors, prosecutors, diplomats, tax professionals, economists, solicitors and other professionals working across Government and the NHS.
- More about the FDA's 'New Government: New Deal' campaign can be found at www.fda.org.uk/New-Government-New-Deal
- The FDA (formerly the First Division Association) should be referred to simply as "The FDA" and can be described as "the senior public servants' union".
- The FDA can be found on Twitter @FDA_union and at www.fda.org.uk.
- For further information contact:
- Katie Lazell, Communications Officer, tel: 020 7401 5555 or 07939257985.
- Rob O'Neill, Assistant General Secretary, tel: 020 7401 5555 or 07764 655 747
Latest News from
FDA calls for pay reform at NCA05/05/2021 16:05:00
The FDA has published its evidence to the National Crime Agency's Pay Review Body, calling for a pay rise for NCA staff and for a quicker pace of pay reform.
Sonia Khan: Statement on employment tribunal claim16/11/2020 14:10:00
Former Treasury Special Adviser Sonia Khan recently (13 November 2020) issued a statement on employment tribunal claim.
Northern Ireland ministers “must ensure they do not put partisan interests ahead of effective government” says FDA25/09/2020 14:10:00
FDA National Officer Allan Sampson yesterday responded to the announcement that the First and Deputy First Ministers of Northern Ireland had failed to appoint a new head of the Northern Ireland Civil Service.
Welsh Government must revise funding to save our museums10/08/2020 12:25:00
The Senedd’s Culture, Welsh Language and Communications Committee has now published its report on the impact of the COVID-19 outbreak on heritage, museums and archives in Wales.
Welsh Government must act to ensure national treasures remain accessible to all, says FDA27/07/2020 10:20:00
The FDA has called on the Welsh Government to invest whatever is needed to protect Welsh national treasures and to ensure everyone in Wales continues to have access to their cultural history.
Parliament's restoration and renewal programme 'must not be derailed by political point scoring', says FDA17/07/2020 14:48:00
FDA National Officer for the House of Commons, Helen Kenny yesterday responded to reports that the Prime Minister has asked officials responsible for the restoration and renewal project to consider relocating Parliament to York.
'All we are asking is for the judiciary to follow government guidance'- FDA writes to the Lord Chief Justice14/07/2020 15:38:00
As the recognised union for prosecutors working in the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), the FDA has raised serious concerns with the Lord Chief Justice over the approach taken by some judges to applications from prosecutors to appear in court remotely.
Culture sector rescue package highlights failure of current funding models07/07/2020 12:25:00
The FDA represents staff working in museums and galleries across the UK.