The FDA welcomes clear guidance from Cabinet Office on EU referendum
Following much speculation, and argument, in the press and amongst politicians on the fairness of the recent guidance issued by Cabinet Secretary Sir Jeremy Heywood for civil servants in the run up to the EU referendum, FDA General Secretary Dave Penman said:
"The FDA welcomes the clear guidance issued by Cabinet Secretary Sir Jeremy Heywood clarifying the responsibilities of both civil servants and special advisers on the handling of papers relating to the referendum.
"Civil servants are there to support the Government of the day and that Government's policies, which in this case is to remain part of the reformed EU.
"The continued wrangling from politicians over this issue will only serve to impact upon the smooth running of government and damage the essential relationship between civil servants and ministers."
Notes for editors
- The FDA is the trade union for the UK's senior public servants and professionals. FDA membership includes more than 18,000 senior civil servants, Government policy advisors, prosecutors, diplomats, tax professionals, economists, solicitors and other professionals working across Government and the NHS.
- More about the FDA's 'New Government: New Deal' campaign can be found at www.fda.org.uk/New-Government-New-Deal
- The FDA (formerly the First Division Association) should be referred to simply as "The FDA" and can be described as "the senior public servants' union".
- The FDA can be found on Twitter @FDA_union and at www.fda.org.uk.
- For further information contact:
- Katie Lazell, Communications Officer, tel: 020 7401 5555 or 07939257985.
- Rob O'Neill, Assistant General Secretary, tel: 020 7401 5555 or 07764 655 747
Latest News from
NICS sickness absence levels should be a wake up call, says FDA union22/09/2017 13:20:00
FDA Assistant General Secretary Rob O’Neill yesterday responded to a new report by the Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency (NISRA), which shows that NICS staff took an average of 12.4 days off in 2016/2017 – an increase from 11.7 days the previous year.
Pay cap announcement will satisfy no one, says FDA union13/09/2017 17:12:00
Dave Penman, General Secretary of the FDA Union for senior managers and professionals in public service has responded to yesterday's announcement on the public sector pay cap.
Government must take “concrete action” to end public sector pay cap, says FDA union05/09/2017 09:25:00
FDA General Secretary Dave Penman yesterday responded to reports published that the Government will scrap the public sector pay cap.
Report attacking DWP pay shows “blatant disregard for the facts”, says FDA union15/08/2017 10:20:00
Jawad Raza, FDA National Officer for DWP yesterday responded to a report in the Mirror naming and shaming civil servants working in the DWP for their remuneration.