The FDA welcomes clear guidance from Cabinet Office on EU referendum
Following much speculation, and argument, in the press and amongst politicians on the fairness of the recent guidance issued by Cabinet Secretary Sir Jeremy Heywood for civil servants in the run up to the EU referendum, FDA General Secretary Dave Penman said:
"The FDA welcomes the clear guidance issued by Cabinet Secretary Sir Jeremy Heywood clarifying the responsibilities of both civil servants and special advisers on the handling of papers relating to the referendum.
"Civil servants are there to support the Government of the day and that Government's policies, which in this case is to remain part of the reformed EU.
"The continued wrangling from politicians over this issue will only serve to impact upon the smooth running of government and damage the essential relationship between civil servants and ministers."
Notes for editors
- The FDA is the trade union for the UK's senior public servants and professionals. FDA membership includes more than 18,000 senior civil servants, Government policy advisors, prosecutors, diplomats, tax professionals, economists, solicitors and other professionals working across Government and the NHS.
- More about the FDA's 'New Government: New Deal' campaign can be found at www.fda.org.uk/New-Government-New-Deal
- The FDA (formerly the First Division Association) should be referred to simply as "The FDA" and can be described as "the senior public servants' union".
- The FDA can be found on Twitter @FDA_union and at www.fda.org.uk.
- For further information contact:
- Katie Lazell, Communications Officer, tel: 020 7401 5555 or 07939257985.
- Rob O'Neill, Assistant General Secretary, tel: 020 7401 5555 or 07764 655 747
Latest News from
Under-pressure HMRC staff need proper investment - Association of Revenue & Customs15/01/2018 15:10:00
Vicky Johnson, President of the Association of Revenue and Customs (ARC), which represents managers and professionals in the department, recently (12 January 2018) responded to the new Public Accounts Committee report on HMRC.
Under-pressure HMRC staff need proper investment - Association of Revenue & Customs12/01/2018 13:20:00
Vicky Johnson, President of the Association of Revenue and Customs (ARC), which represents managers and professionals in the department has responded to today's Public Accounts Committee report on HMRC.
Ministerial Code tinkering not enough to protect staff from harassment and bullying, FDA union says10/01/2018 15:05:00
FDA Assistant General Secretary Naomi Cooke yesterday responded to the latest revisions to the Ministerial Code, aimed at clamping down on harassment and bullying.
Civil service has a "long way to go" to close gender pay gap, says FDA union19/12/2017 12:42:00
Zohra Francis, Equality Officer at the FDA union for senior public servants yesterday responded to publication of reports on the gender pay gap in the civil service.
Public will “bear the consequences” if cuts to prosecution service continue, FDA warns13/12/2017 17:01:00
Ahead of the Scottish Budget, FDA National Officer for Scotland Allan Sampson says: “The Scottish Government must match resource to commitment or accept that the service that can be delivered by the Scottish prosecution service will decline.