UK Chancellor announces joint taskforce to solve the delivery of equivalent support to £400 Energy Bill Support Scheme in Northern Ireland
Chancellor Nadhim Zahawi yesterday met with Northern Ireland Executive Ministers and officials to continue to drive progress on the delivery of equivalent support to the £400 Energy Bill Support Scheme in Northern Ireland.
- The Chancellor announced a new joint taskforce comprising of officials from UK and NIE who will be responsible for driving forward a solution over the coming weeks to ensure people of NI get support as soon as possible.
- The scheme will reduce every household’s energy bills by £400, to help families with the rising cost of living.
- Attendees agreed the taskforce would look at all ways for the UK Government to deliver this support in Northern Ireland, working with the Executive and Regulator to make sure it arrives as swiftly as possible.
- Attendees agreed a shared objective in getting payments to households as quickly as possible, and the need to work collaboratively on the most effective mechanism.
- They agreed to a regular schedule of meetings until this issue is resolved.
Chancellor Nadhim Zahawi said:
“We need to keep the momentum up to get equivalent energy support to people in Northern Ireland and that’s why today I’ve launched a joint taskforce to present practical delivery options back to Ministers. No option is off the table.
“We’ve got our noses to the grindstone, we’re making progress, and we have a shared objective with Minsters in Northern Ireland to get this off the ground as soon as possible.”
The attendees of yesterday’s meeting were:
- UK Chancellor of the Exchequer, Nadhim Zahawi
- Chief Executive of Utility Regulator, John French
- Northern Ireland’s Minister for the Economy, Gordon Lyons
- Northern Ireland’s Minister for Communities, Deidre Hargey
- Permanent Secretary, Northern Ireland Department of Finance, Neil Gibson
- Officials from both the Northern Ireland Executive and central United Kingdom administrations
Latest News from
Andrew Ballheimer, Kalpana Desai and Mahnaz Safa join the Board of UK Government Investments as Non-Executive Directors04/10/2022 12:15:00
UK Government Investments: Andrew Ballheimer, Kalpana Desair and Mahnaz Safa appointed to the Board of UK Government Investments as Non-Executive Directors.
An update on Additional Rate tax04/10/2022 11:10:00
The Chancellor confirmed an update to plans for the Additional Rate tax on the morning of 3 October 2022.
Readout of the Prime Minister and Chancellor’s meeting with the OBR30/09/2022 15:20:00
This morning (30 September) Prime Minister Liz Truss and Chancellor Kwasi Kwarteng met with OBR officials, including the Chair Richard Hughes.
Levelling Up Fund to drive growth in Leicester’s space sector30/09/2022 11:10:00
The Exchequer Secretary, yesterday (29 September), visited Leicester’s Pioneer Park to see how £19.4 million of Government investment will support the city’s space and satellite technology sectors.
Update on Growth Plan implementation27/09/2022 12:10:00
An update on next steps following the Growth Plan which the Chancellor set out on 23 September.
Chancellor's Growth Plan means tax cuts for a million in Wales27/09/2022 11:10:00
The Chancellor unveils his Growth Plan to release the potential of the UK economy, tackle inflation and deliver higher productivity and wages.
Chancellor announces new Growth Plan with biggest package of tax cuts in generations26/09/2022 16:43:00
The Chancellor recently (Friday 23 September) unveiled his Growth Plan to release the huge potential in the British economy by tackling high energy costs and inflation and delivering higher productivity and wages.
Energy Markets Financing Scheme Update26/09/2022 15:20:00
An update providing further details on the Energy Markets Financing Scheme.