Foreign,Commonwealth and Development Office
UK imposes further coordinated sanctions on Iranian regime officials
The Foreign Secretary announced more sanctions on Iranian officials at the heart of the regime’s repression, including on Deputy Prosecutor General Ahmad Fazelian.
The UK is placing further sanctions on regime officials in Iran, including on Deputy Prosecutor General Ahmad Fazelian.
These sanctions, alongside designations by the European Union and the United States, demonstrate the international community’s unified condemnation of the horrific violence the Iranian regime is inflicting on its own people, including the execution of dual British-Iranian national Alireza Akbari.
Alongside the Prosecutor General in Iran, whom the UK sanctioned last week, Fazelian is responsible for a judicial system characterised by unfair trials and egregious punishments, including use of the death penalty for political purposes. Last week Alireza Akbari tragically became a victim of this brutal system.
The list of sanctions imposed today also includes:
- Kiyumars Heidari, Commander in Chief of the Islamic Republic of Iran’s Ground Forces: Heidari has publicly admitted to his and his force’s involvement in the violent response to the November 2019 protests that led to the death of at least hundreds of protesters, and he continues to order the repression of protests today
- Hossein Nejat, Deputy Commander of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) of Sarallah HQ: Sarallah is the division of the IRGC responsible for the security of Tehran, where we have seen some of the most brutal violence against the Iranian people
- the Basij Resistance Force: the Basij force within the IRGC are mobilised by the regime leadership to enforce the brutal repression on the streets of Iran
- Salar Abnoush, Deputy Commander of the Basij: Abnoush has publicly described his command-and-control role over Basij forces and continues to lead their repressive tactics today
Foreign Secretary James Cleverly said:
Those sanctioned today, from the judicial figures using the death penalty for political ends to the thugs beating protestors on the streets, are at the heart of the regime’s brutal repression of the Iranian people.
The UK and our partners have sent a clear message through these sanctions that there will be no hiding place for those guilty of the worst human rights violations.
The UK has now imposed 50 new sanctions in response to human rights violations by the Iranian regime since Mahsa Amini’s death and will continue to take a wide range of actions to hold the regime to account.
These sanctions impose an asset freeze and UK travel ban on the individuals sanctioned and send a wider signal on the UK’s commitment to backing condemnation with action.
The full list of those sanctioned today is:
- Basij Resistance Force
- The Basij Co-operative Foundation
- Ahmad Fazelian, Deputy Prosecutor General
- Kiyumars Heidari, Commander in Chief of the Islamic Republic of Iran’s Ground Forces
- Salar Abnoush, Deputy Commander of the Basij
- Qasem Rezaei, Deputy Commander of the Law Enforcement Force (LEF)
- Hossein Nejat, Deputy Commander of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) of Sarallah HQ
Latest News from
Foreign,Commonwealth and Development Office
Foreign Secretary's meeting with Brazilian Foreign Minister, February 202423/02/2024 11:05:00
The Foreign Secretary met with Brazil’s Foreign Minister Mauro Vieira at the G20 Foreign Ministers’ Summit in Rio de Janeiro on 22 February
UK sanctions heads of Arctic penal colony where Alexei Navalny was killed21/02/2024 14:05:00
The UK has sanctioned six individuals heading up the penal colony where Alexei Navalny died on Friday.
US, UK, Canada Joint Statement: Foreign Information Manipulation16/02/2024 16:10:00
The US, UK and Canada have issued a joint statement on Foreign Information Manipulation.
The first UK-EU Counter-Terrorism Dialogue in Brussels05/02/2024 10:15:00
The inaugural UK-EU Counter-Terrorism Dialogue took place in Brussels on 2 February 2024, to enhance cooperation on counter-terrorism.
Minister for Europe in Poland to show support for NATO troops31/01/2024 16:25:00
Europe Minister Leo Docherty visits Poland to meet British troops stationed as part of NATO’s multinational battlegroup
Postponement of the UK-African Investment Summit31/01/2024 15:25:00
The UK-African Investment Summit (UK-AIS) due to take place in April 2024 will now be postponed to a later date. New summit dates will be announced in due course.
UK and US step up action to tackle domestic threat from Iran30/01/2024 11:10:00
A new sanctions package, coordinated with the US, targets Iranian officials responsible for threats to kill on UK soil and criminal gangs who do the regime’s bidding overseas.
Russia's wanton destruction against Ukraine must be stopped: UK statement to the OSCE26/01/2024 16:25:00
Ambassador Neil Holland condemns Russia's air attacks this week on Kyiv and Kharkiv, as well as the spate of attacks on Ukraine over the past month.
UK and US sanction key Houthi figures to protect maritime security in the Red Sea25/01/2024 16:25:00
The UK and US have imposed co-ordinated sanctions on the Houthis today to disrupt their ability to carry out attacks on international shipping in the Red Sea, and promote the peace, stability and security of Yemen.