Department for International Trade
UK trade and investment in 2018: behind the numbers
More businesses than ever are seeking expansion opportunities overseas.
More businesses than ever are seeking expansion opportunities overseas, International Trade Secretary Dr Liam Fox MP said as he celebrated a successful year for trade and investment.
International Trade Secretary, Dr Liam Fox MP, said:
2018 has been a year to celebrate our successes in trade - with record highs in investment and exports. In a year where we launched our Export Strategy, our GDP continues to grow at a quicker rate than the Eurozone, and employment is at a rate we haven’t seen for more than 40 years.
With exports reaching £626bn we look forward to 2019. Overseas trade will continue to play a crucial part in economic growth and my international economic department will do all it can to support UK businesses to expand their operations overseas.
Key headline figures from UK trade and investment in 2018:
- £626bn – The demand for UK goods and services overseas continued to grow, as exports in the year to October 2018 rose to £626bn.
- Trade beyond the EU - There has also been a clear shift in who we trade with, as whilst ten years ago more than half of our exports went to the EU, 54.2% now go to non-EU countries.
- 0.6% - GDP growth in the third quarter this year was significantly greater than the Eurozone (0.6% from 0.2%) And the economy is now 17.8% bigger since 2010.
- £114bn – The US remained the UKs top single export destination, with exports increasing to £114bn in the year to 2018 Q3.
- £59bn – Goods exports from the Northern Powerhouse increased by 2.1% in the year to 2018 Q3.
- £56bn – Goods exports from the Midlands Engine increased by 6.1% in the year to 2018 Q3.
- 110,000 - The number of VAT-registered businesses exporting goods in the UK increased by 1.5% to 110,000 in 2018 Q3 compared to the same quarter in the previous year.
- 10.4% - Over the past year some of the world’s fastest growing economies have shown a growing interest in British produce, as exports to ASEAN increased by 10.4% in the year to end 2018 Q2.
- £5bn - Foreign investors are feeling more confident than ever placing their money in UK companies. The UKs vibrant tech sector has received over £5bn in venture capitalist funding between June 2016 and June 2018, more than France, Germany and Sweden combined.
- 75,698 – 2017/2018 saw 75,968 new jobs created as a result of Foreign Direct Investment, as the UK remained the top destination for FDI in Europe.
Notes to editors
- In August, the Department for International Trade launched its ambitious new Export Strategy, seeking to move exports as a percentage of GDP from 30% to 35%.
- The strategy set out a range of support which will help businesses make the most of significant export opportunities around the world.
- Fastest growing export destinations only include markets with export values equal to or greater than £1bn.
Latest News from
Department for International Trade
Firstsource Solutions unveil £1 million investment in Belfast17/04/2019 14:20:00
Indian-owned global business process management firm, Firstsource Solutions has announced a further £1 million investment in Northern Ireland.
UK and India strengthen defence ties with new agreement17/04/2019 10:17:00
The UK is set to strengthen defence ties with India through a renewed Memorandum of Understanding, Defence Minister Stuart Andrew has announced.
UK-LATAC trade in the spotlight: Exports Minister visits Brazil and Argentina17/04/2019 08:10:00
Trade and Export Promotion Minister Baroness Fairhead travelled to Brazil and Argentina to discuss future opportunities for trade in the region.
Joint statement on the UK-U.S. marine technology SME best practice exchange16/04/2019 16:20:00
First sectoral-focused SME dialogue hosted in the UK successfully enables shared learnings on innovation and trade for UK and U.S. SMEs in marine technology.
Trade Secretary announces £1 billion to support trade with Iraq16/04/2019 13:43:00
Dr Fox announces £1 billion increase in support on offer from UK Export Finance for British firms exporting to Iraq.
Welsh-grown daffodils help tackle Alzheimer's16/04/2019 11:20:00
Welsh bioresearch company, Agroceutical Products, grows and harvests daffodils in the Black Mountains to help Alzheimer’s patients.
UK drinks industry helps drive up British exports12/04/2019 08:10:00
Latest figures released this week show UK exports continue to go from strength to strength, reaching £639 billion in the year to February 2019.
Singapore eCommerce Enterprises Development office opens to help UK businesses trade with Singapore11/04/2019 10:15:00
Opening of SEED office gives UK companies expert advice and support for expanding into Singapore, China and ASEAN countries.