Crown Commercial Service
Virtual interviews: top tips for success
Emilia Carden from our workforce category team shares some top tips to help you successfully carry out virtual interviews.
While some office-based staff are returning to the workplace, many public sector organisations are continuing to work remotely, and social distancing measures mean this could remain the case for some time. In fact, for a lot of organisations, remote working could become the ‘new normal’ for some or all of their employees. This means that organisations will have to adapt not just to a new way of working, but also to recruiting and onboarding new employees remotely.
Some of the tips shared in this blog might seem pretty obvious, but it is all too often that the simplest of things that can trip you up. Make sure you are well prepared and a technical hitch won’t mean you lose out on a great candidate. Whether interviews are face-to-face or online, planning is the key to success.
- what technology are you planning to use?
- make sure it is a platform that is easily and freely accessible to your candidates, for example, Skype, Zoom, Google Meet or Microsoft Teams
- if you chose a platform that you don’t normally use in your day-to-day work make sure you (and all your interview panel members) can access it from your work computer – and make sure you know how to use it
- consider a quick test call with candidates and the interview panel ahead of the actual interview to make sure there are no technical glitches:
- this will help ensure that you are well prepared and can give a great first impression of your organisation
- importantly, it will also help ensure that candidates feel confident and focus on giving their best at the interview – not worrying about the technology
- have a backup plan, such as a conference call number, in case the technology fails you on the day – unfortunately, we all know that this can happen
a first stage of phone interviews can be a good way to help you create a shortlist if you have lots of candidates to consider – and then you can invite your shortlist to a more in-depth interview
- have the same panel members for all your interviews if you can – you will build a better rapport between the panel and the interviews will flow better
- have a pre-interview session with panel members to go over your planned interview format, questions and scoring:
- it’s a good idea to agree in advance who will ask what questions and the roles each panel member will have
Before the interview
- decide if you want to record the interviews to help you review candidates:
- if you do, check your chosen technology platform can do that and that you know how to do it
- tell your candidates in advance that you plan to record the interview so they don’t feel ambushed and self-conscious – and give them the opportunity to opt out
- agree in advance if you expect everyone to have their cameras on – it will certainly help you build a rapport and read their body language, so should be encouraged
We’re here to help
You can also explore our full range of workforce frameworks and the latest news on our new dedicated workforce web page.
Latest News from
Crown Commercial Service
Permanent Recruitment framework helps Maritime and Coastguard Agency get fit for the 21st century24/11/2020 12:20:00
In this case study we explain how the CCS Permanent Recruitment framework helped the Maritime and Coastguard Agency ensure a coastguard fit for the 21st century by filling an important vacancy.
Update to our online catalogue for technology products20/11/2020 08:20:00
An updated Technology Products online catalogue is now available on the Purchasing Platform.
Our Supply and Fit of Tyres agreement helps the North West Ambulance Service stay on the road during COVID-1919/11/2020 11:48:00
Read about how our Supply and Fit of Tyres agreement helped the North West Ambulance Service's fleet stay on the road during a time of unprecedented demand.
Local authorities, collate your IT requirements and save18/11/2020 12:20:00
Are you a local authority looking to make savings on IT hardware such as laptops, desktops and tablets? Discover how you can join our next aggregation.
New streamlined service for the recruitment of clinical and healthcare staff13/11/2020 15:25:00
The NHS Workforce Alliance has launched a framework for the recruitment of temporary, permanent and fixed term clinical and healthcare staff.
Supporting the NHS COVID-19 response with temporary accommodation and other travel services09/11/2020 11:05:00
Crown Commercial Service travel agreements are available to support the NHS response to COVID-19 for NHS staff, key workers and other impacted communities to access secure accommodation at hotels and other accommodation venues, together with any additional travel service.
How to prepare for a software audit and avoid excess charges09/11/2020 10:05:00
In this article, discover our top tips to help you avoid unexpected auditing costs from your software supplier.
Support with COVID-19 post event assurance planning09/11/2020 09:05:00
Following the response by government agencies to provide COVID-19 support to the public and businesses, departments are now being asked to finalise their COVID-19 post event assurance (PEA) plans.