|Printable version||E-mail this to a friend|
World-leading UK FinTech firms discuss sector plans at roundtable
Leading FinTech firms meet with City Minister, Simon Kirby to discuss how to build on the previous success of the sector.
Yesterday (01 November 2016), some of Britain’s cutting-edge FinTech companies met with Simon Kirby, the Economic Secretary to the Treasury, to discuss how the UK’s world-leading FinTech sector can build on its previous success and take advantage of the opportunities ahead.
Earlier this year London was voted the global FinTech capital and in October 2016 the Treasury unveiled plans to hold a new international FinTech conference in London designed to attract more investment into the sector.
The meeting was the first of 2 roundtables with the sector, taking place over 2 days, at which the government is listening to the issues affecting the sector and the plans it has to grow and develop.
Attendees included chief executives from across the FinTech industry, financial regulators and Eileen Burbidge, HM Treasury’s FinTech envoy. Robin Walker, a Minister for the Department for Exiting the European Union, and Mark Garnier, the Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Department for International Trade, will also represent the government.
In his opening statement the Economic Secretary to the Treasury, Simon Kirby, said:
FinTech is one of the shining lights of the UK economy. It is expanding rapidly, receiving high levels of investment, and employing some of the brightest minds the UK, Europe, and the World have to offer.
I am determined to see FinTech remain one of our great British success stories.
Tuesday 1 November:
- Simon Kirby, Economic Secretary to the Treasury
- Robin Walker, Minister at Department for Exiting the European Union
- Chris Woolard, Director of Strategy and Competition. Financial Conduct Authority
- Eileen Burbidge, Treasury’s FinTech Envoy and CEO of Passion Capital
- Lawrence Wintermeyer, CEO, Innovate Finance
- Paul Cassey, General Counsel, Crowd Cube
- Jeff Lynn, CEO, Seedrs
- Martin Cook, UK Gen Counsel, Funding Circle
- Andrew Lawson, Chief Product Officer, Zopa
- John Battersby, Director of Policy and Comms, Ratesetter
- Simon Brown, Enterprise business architect, Atom Bank
- Paul Rippon, Deputy CEO, Monzo
- Ruth Handcock, Chief Customer Officer, Tandem
- Diana Paredes, CEO, Suade
- Eamon Jubbawy, COO and Co-founder, Onfido
- Justin Fitzpatrick, COO and Co-founder, DueDil
- Sharn Kaur, International Head of Compliance, Circle
Latest News from
UK families will soon see bills cut as date announced for the launch of Tax-Free Childcare22/03/2017 16:16:00
Launch of new Childcare Choices website means parents now able to find available government support.
Almost half of UK financial services staff now covered by ground breaking Women in Finance Charter22/03/2017 13:39:15
Another 33 firms have signed up to the government’s ground-breaking Women in Finance Charter.
Finance Bill 2017 legislates new tax changes20/03/2017 16:10:00
Finance Bill 2017 introduces measures to make the tax system fairer while modernising it for the digital age.
UK tightens defences against money laundering17/03/2017 12:48:27
Criminals will find it more difficult to launder money through the UK thanks to a new government crackdown.