|Printable version||E-mail this to a friend|
World-leading UK FinTech firms discuss sector plans at roundtable
Leading FinTech firms meet with City Minister, Simon Kirby to discuss how to build on the previous success of the sector.
Yesterday (01 November 2016), some of Britain’s cutting-edge FinTech companies met with Simon Kirby, the Economic Secretary to the Treasury, to discuss how the UK’s world-leading FinTech sector can build on its previous success and take advantage of the opportunities ahead.
Earlier this year London was voted the global FinTech capital and in October 2016 the Treasury unveiled plans to hold a new international FinTech conference in London designed to attract more investment into the sector.
The meeting was the first of 2 roundtables with the sector, taking place over 2 days, at which the government is listening to the issues affecting the sector and the plans it has to grow and develop.
Attendees included chief executives from across the FinTech industry, financial regulators and Eileen Burbidge, HM Treasury’s FinTech envoy. Robin Walker, a Minister for the Department for Exiting the European Union, and Mark Garnier, the Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Department for International Trade, will also represent the government.
In his opening statement the Economic Secretary to the Treasury, Simon Kirby, said:
FinTech is one of the shining lights of the UK economy. It is expanding rapidly, receiving high levels of investment, and employing some of the brightest minds the UK, Europe, and the World have to offer.
I am determined to see FinTech remain one of our great British success stories.
Tuesday 1 November:
- Simon Kirby, Economic Secretary to the Treasury
- Robin Walker, Minister at Department for Exiting the European Union
- Chris Woolard, Director of Strategy and Competition. Financial Conduct Authority
- Eileen Burbidge, Treasury’s FinTech Envoy and CEO of Passion Capital
- Lawrence Wintermeyer, CEO, Innovate Finance
- Paul Cassey, General Counsel, Crowd Cube
- Jeff Lynn, CEO, Seedrs
- Martin Cook, UK Gen Counsel, Funding Circle
- Andrew Lawson, Chief Product Officer, Zopa
- John Battersby, Director of Policy and Comms, Ratesetter
- Simon Brown, Enterprise business architect, Atom Bank
- Paul Rippon, Deputy CEO, Monzo
- Ruth Handcock, Chief Customer Officer, Tandem
- Diana Paredes, CEO, Suade
- Eamon Jubbawy, COO and Co-founder, Onfido
- Justin Fitzpatrick, COO and Co-founder, DueDil
- Sharn Kaur, International Head of Compliance, Circle
Latest News from
Economic Secretary's speech to the Association of British Insurers27/06/2017 17:10:06
Stephen Barclay at the Association of British Insurers "Brexit – the road ahead" conference.
Office of Tax Simplification: Annual Report 2016-1727/06/2017 16:10:59
Challenging tax complexity to help all users of the tax system: the OTS looks ahead to a full and challenging agenda.
Crack down on terrorist and criminal financing26/06/2017 10:15:00
Terrorists and criminals will find it harder to move money through the UK financial system thanks to new rules coming into force on 26th July 2017.
Over a quarter of a million new homeowners thanks to Help to Buy23/06/2017 08:12:00
Over 285,000 homeowners, including 240,000 first time buyers, have been supported by the government's Help to Buy schemes.