Snow or no snow.. what do we know?
There is a lot of media speculation in the air, but it almost certainly won’t be accompanied by disruptive snow. That is the view of Helen Caughey – a Met Office Deputy Chief Forecaster.
She yesterday said:
“Already there is a lot of media speculation about the prospects for snow later this week and for a white Christmas. Whilst it is too early to give any indications for Christmas, some colder weather is likely for the end of the week, and into the weekend.
“So, what do we know. There is a reasonably strong signal for lower temperatures across the UK by the weekend. But that isn’t guaranteed, and those lower temperatures don’t mean widespread snow. There is a 70 per cent chance that areas as far south as southern England could experience overnight frosts and a general reduction in temperature. However, there is still a 30 per cent chance that the colder conditions won’t get that far south. Any falling snow is likely to be confined to the far northeast, and hills and mountains of Scotland.”
Potential change in weather regime from Friday 24 November 2023
Aidan McGivern is a Met Office senior weather presenter. Commenting on the outlook for the festive period he yesterday said:
“Christmas is still over one month away, so it is impossible with this lead time to have any confidence in a detailed forecast for the big day. The only guides this far out that are helpful in determining a forecast are studying the global drivers of weather and what is happening with the shift in climatology – how the climate is shifting in response to climate change.
“If you’re seeing stories this far from Christmas promising a white Christmas, you can’t trust them to be right. Of course, there is always a chance, but no-one can have the certainty to be sure this far ahead.”
Latest News from
Numerous rain warnings issued07/12/2023 09:25:00
Further heavy rain is forecast to fall on already saturated ground with rain and flood warnings issued.
Differing Net Zero definitions must ‘mesh’ say Met Office scientists28/11/2023 13:15:15
A new paper published in Nature has highlighted a fundamental mismatch in the way greenhouse gas emissions are measured which could mean that Net Zero could be met in one definition up to five years ahead of the other.
Cold spells to come24/11/2023 16:20:00
The first widespread frost of Autumn for much of England and Wales is expected tonight with a further cold spell forecast next week.
CSSP China: Celebrating a decade of scientific collaboration13/11/2023 15:05:00
A project aimed at enabling the development of cutting-edge climate science and its pull through into decision making and on-the-ground services is marking its 10th anniversary.
2023: on track to be Earth’s warmest year on record10/11/2023 13:15:00
Every month of 2023 has so far has exceeded 1.2°C above pre-industrial times [note], according to the HadCRUT dataset.
Wettest October on record for eastern Scotland06/11/2023 13:15:15
Eastern Scotland had its wettest October on record in a series which goes back to 1836, with some counties seeing well over twice their average rainfall for the month, according to provisional Met Office figures.
Can AI transform how we forecast the weather?01/11/2023 10:15:00
A partnership between the Turing and the Met Office aims to make weather forecasting more accurate and efficient write the Met Office’s Professor Kirstine Dale and Dr Scott Hosking, senior research fellow at the Alan Turing Institute.
Met Office name Storm Ciarán30/10/2023 15:15:15
Storm Ciarán will bring a period of strong winds and heavy rain across parts of southern England and Wales on Thursday.