Employment market buoyant as Wales sees fastest return to work in UK
16 Sep 2015 09:47 AM
Employment is up again in Wales as growing numbers of people profit from a strengthening economy right across the country.
Today’s Labour Market Statistics show employment is up 25,000 on the quarter with nearly three quarters of the working population (71.2 per cent) now in a job.
The statistics also show:
- Largest increase in return to work on the year across all UK nations and regions.
- Economic inactivity down 22,000 on the quarter - now back below one million (995,000).
- 2nd largest increase on the quarter of all UK nations and regions
- The claimant count increased 300 in August over the month, and fell 8,700 on the year
- The youth claimant count fell by 3,100 over the year
- Unemployment marginally up by 4,000 on the quarter with a rate of 6.5 per cent – similar to the UK national picture
Secretary of State for Wales Stephen Crabb said:
Over the last year, Wales has seen the largest increase in return to work out of all other parts of the UK.
Inward investment and business growth seen earlier this year in Wales are now bearing real fruit.
We cannot be complacent - the UK is surrounded by economic risk and volatility. However we have a Government which is committed to delivering stability, security and the opportunity to succeed.