Explainer: Coronavirus – What You Need to Know
6 Feb 2020 03:55 PM
World-renowned global health expert Professor David Heymann CBE explains the key facts and work being done on the Coronavirus outbreak.
Click here for the video
Professor Heymann, a distinguished fellow in the Global Health programme at Chatham House, has been advising the World Health Organization (WHO) on its response to Coronavirus, having previously led the organization's response to SARS.
He outlines the key known facts and research surrounding this, and other infectious disease responses, and what the global health community has learned from previous outbreaks such as SARS.
Key questions he covers are:
- How worried should we be about Coronavirus?
- How is the virus transmitted?
- Where is this outbreak going?
- How effective are containment methods such as quarantine?
- There’s been a run on facemasks, do they work?
- Where did this virus come from?
- How does this compare with SARS and other coronaviruses?
- Are particular countries or regions more vulnerable than others, and if so, why?
- What lessons from other infectious diseases outbreaks such as SARS, have been implemented?
Click here for the full press release