Got 5 to register for the Northern Ireland local elections ?

22 Feb 2019 02:01 PM

The Electoral Commission yesterday launched a brand new campaign “Got 5?” to let people across Northern Ireland know that they can now register online if they want to vote at the local council elections on 2 May.

The campaign aims to let would-be voters know that they can quickly register to vote while running a bath or doing the laundry. It encourages anyone not registered to vote or anyone who has recently moved home to take five minutes to go online and register at before the deadline of 12 April.

Ann Watt, Head of the Electoral Commission in Northern Ireland, said: “It is great that voters in Northern Ireland are now able to register and update their details online.

“We’re keen to see people using the time that may otherwise be wasted, like waiting for the kettle to boil, to go online and complete a form in less than five minutes. It’s quick, simple and really important.”

At the elections on 2 May voters will elect 460 councillors across 11 councils in Northern Ireland. However to make sure you can have your say you must be on the electoral register.

“It has never been easier to register to vote in Northern Ireland, so if you want to make sure your voice is heard go online and register now” added Ann Watt.

The Commission is also reminding anyone who can’t make it to the polling station on 2 May because of holiday or work commitments that they can apply to vote by post or proxy.

Completed application forms must be returned by Wednesday 10 April.

Voters can find out more information at

For more information, contact the Electoral Commission press office at or Tel: 028 9089 4023 / 020 7271 0704. The Press Office out of office hours number is 07789 920414

Notes to editors

  1. The Electoral Commission is the independent body which oversees elections and regulates political finance in the UK. It works to promote public confidence in the democratic process and ensure its integrity by:
  1. The Commission was set up in 2000 and reports to the UK and Scottish Parliaments.