Justice Committee - weekly update
19 Jul 2019 04:17 PM
At the end of sitting weeks the Justice Committee publishes a brief summary of its activities in the form of a weekly update.
This week (commencing 15 July 2019)
Report on Transforming Rehabilitation: follow-up
This week we published a short report on probation, following up our report last year on the same subject.
We said that the Government must address the damage caused by the mistaken Transforming Rehabilitation reforms. We called for:
- The Government to explain how it will recruit and retain more probation officers, including setting out current, planned and achieved numbers
- Greater transparency of future probation funding, so public spend can be clearly scrutinised
- Measures to ensure that the involvement of the voluntary sector, which has been pushed out, is protected and encouraged
- Evidence that the £43m additional funding put into Through the Gate resettlement services (for people leaving custody) is making a difference
- The MOJ to update us on their work to accommodation needs of prisoners on release, since homelessness figures are shocking
Read the report
Evidence session on Tuesday 16 July
This week the Committee held its final evidence session for its inquiry into prisons governance. The Committee took evidence from:
- Dame Anne Owers, National Chair, Independent Monitoring Boards
- Peter Clarke, HM Chief Inspector of Prisons
- Robert Buckland QC MP, Minister of State for Justice
- Jo Farrar, Chief Executive, HMPPS
- Phil Copple, Director General, Prisons, HMPPS
The Committee asked questions about the oversight role of the Inspector and Independent Monitoring Boards; performance management; prison safety and decency; funding; leadership, and many other issues.
- Letter from Robert Buckland QC MP, Minister of State for Justice, on Prison operator framework, dated 8 July 2019 ( PDF 947 KB)
- Letter from Rt Hon David Gauke MP, Lord Chancellor and Secretary of State for Justice, on Helen’s law, dated 8 July 2019 ( PDF 196 KB)
- Letter from Robert Buckland QC MP, Minister of State for Justice, on Publication of the Incentives Policy Framework, dated 11 July 2019 ( PDF 259 KB)
- Letter from Robert Buckland QC MP, Minister of State for Justice, on Urgent Notification – HMP Bristol, dated 11 July 2019 ( PDF 703 KB)
- Letter from Peter Clarke, Chief Inspector of Prisons, on HMP Lewes, dated 12 July 2019 ( PDF 554 KB)
- Letter from Rt Hon David Gauke MP, Lord Chancellor and Secretary of State for Justice, on Personal Injury Discount Rate-Outcome of First Review, dated 15 July 2019 ( PDF 514 KB)
Next week, the Committee will meet one more time in private. We will next meet in public after the Summer recess.