Lancashire award winner who worked to overcome pandemic pressures named
28 Oct 2021 02:44 PM
Inspiring collaborations which have helped patients and the NHS cope with the pressures of the COVID-19 pandemic have been recognised in the 2021 NHS in the North Excellence in Supply Awards.
Hosted by the Innovation Agency, the Academic Health Science Network (AHSN) for the North West Coast and NHS Northern Customer Board, the event was staged virtually but gave buyers and suppliers a chance to talk informally before the 11th annual ceremony.
The NHS Procurement Outstanding Contribution Award was won by Simon Bennett of the NHS Lancashire Procurement Cluster. His work during the response to the pandemic led to improved patient safety and a redesign of PPE distribution systems that supplied 14 million items across three Lancashire NHS trusts.
Simon yesterday said:
“I was proud of the work that was recognised at this event which was the result of teamwork across the whole of the logistics and supply chain department. I’m happy to have raised our profile and show how significant procurement is.”
Hear more from Simon and Steve Adams, Innovation Agency Lancashire programme manager, here:
In total eight awards were made to suppliers and NHS staff as part of an event hosted by the Innovation Agency, the Academic Health Science Network (AHSN) for the North West Coast and NHS Northern Customer Board. The Academic Health Science Network for the North East and North Cumbria and AHSN colleagues from Yorkshire and Humber Academic Health Science Network as well as Health Innovation Manchester also sponsored the celebration.
The awards were hosted by Dr Phil Jennings, Chief Executive of the Innovation Agency, who said the event represented an ideal way of celebrating innovation and collaboration: “It was an honour to present the 11th Excellence in Supply Awards. Many of those nominated were fantastic examples of overcoming hurdles despite the challenges of the past year. We, and our AHSN colleagues who have kindly supported the event, are ideally placed to support our partners in the NHS and industry. As our keynote speaker Sir Jim Mackey commented, innovative solutions that can be quickly adopted will be increasingly vital as we aim to spread benefits to patients and within our regional economies.”
Keynote speaker Sir Jim Mackey, the Chief Executive of Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust, Chairman of the NHS Customer Board for Procurement and Supply and a former head of NHS Improvement, paid tribute to suppliers who stepped up to help the NHS during the pandemic.
He yesterday said:
“We really do need to try and maintain the freedom of mind and a desire to innovate and collaborate.”
In total eight awards were made to suppliers and NHS staff as part of an event hosted by the Innovation Agency, the Academic Health Science Network (AHSN) for the North West Coast and NHS Northern Customer Board; sponsored by Health Innovation Manchester, Yorkshire and Humber AHSN and North East and North Cumbria AHSN.
A full list of winners is below:
- Innovation Award – The Medication Support Company The company created a pharmacist-led telehealth service employed across health and social care to help patients take their medicines correctly.
- Patient Experience Award – Health Call Solutions. When COVID-19 took hold the rollout of the digital technology adoption project for County Durham’s care homes was delivered almost a year sooner than originally planned.
- Small Business Award – Cievert In just three weeks during the pandemic Cievert developed a system to allow vaccinations to begin by building a digital platform capable of taking direct online bookings.
- Support Services Award – MyKitCheck. North Cumbria Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust worked with MyKitCheck to drastically improve the recording of storage and checking of equipment.
- NHS Procurement Outstanding Contribution Award – Simon Bennett of the NHS Lancashire Procurement Cluster.
- NHS Champion in Support of Procurement Award – Hayley Lockwood, of the West Yorkshire and Harrogate ICS Digital Team
- NHS Procurement Transformation Award – Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
- Supplier of the Year Award – Health Call Solutions
Mick Guymer, Chair of the NHS Northern Customer Board, yesterday said:
“This year all of us in the NHS have worked to combat the effects of the pandemic and it’s heartening to see these awards recognise inspirational examples of businesses, third sector organisations and the NHS working together. I send my congratulations to the winners but everyone involved really deserves recognition for their sterling work in often adverse situations.
“These awards are my final act as Chair of the Northern Procurement Customer Board as my eight-year term has come to an end. My best wishes to all involved in the EIS Awards and to the incoming Chair Jonathan Wood.”
Watch the awards ceremony in full here:
Sir Jim Mackey’s keynote speech can be seen here:
The full virtual awards exhibition can be viewed here:
All three NHS award winners will go through to the Health Care Supply Association annual conference and exhibition to be held in Harrogate in November.