Ofgem appoints British Gas to take on customers of Breeze Energy
22 Dec 2019 04:51 PM
Ofgem has appointed British Gas to take on supplying Breeze Energy’s 18,000 domestic customers. This follows a competitive process run by Ofgem to get the best deal possible for customers.
British Gas is offering customers a competitive tariff. All outstanding credit balances, including money owed to both existing and former customers of Breeze Energy, will also be honoured and British Gas will absorb a significant portion of these costs.
For existing customers, energy supplies will continue as normal as they switch over to British Gas on Sunday 22 December.
British Gas will be in touch with customers over the coming days to set up their account. If customers wish to switch supplier they should shop around. Customers will not be charged exit fees if they decide to switch to another supplier.
Philippa Pickford, Ofgem’s director of future retail markets, said:
“I am pleased to announce we have appointed British Gas for the customers of Breeze Energy. Their energy supply will continue as normal and credit balances will be honoured.
“British Gas will be in contact with customers over the coming days with further information. Once the transfer has been completed, customers can shop around for a better deal if they wish to.”
Breeze Energy customers with questions should contact British Gas via their webchat option, if they need to make contact over the weekend. Customers can call: 0333 202 9753 (Monday to Friday) or visit https://www.britishgas.co.uk/.
British Gas will be in touch with customers with direct debits to explain how to set up their account.
More information for Breeze Energy customers can be found on the Ofgem website.
Notes to editors
- Centrica is the trading name for British Gas Trading Limited (company number 03078711).
- Breeze Energy’s customers will be supplied by British Gas as of Sunday 22 December 2019. Accounts will be fully set up over the coming weeks.
- British Gas will be in touch with customers in the coming days. Any questions customers have should be directed to British Gas: visit https://www.britishgas.co.uk/
- British Gas will honour the credit balances of current and former domestic Breeze Energy customers.
- Current and former customers who owe money, or are in debit to Breeze Energy should wait to hear from British Gas or Breeze Energy’s administrators.
- British Gas will be in touch with customers with direct debits to explain how to set their account and a new Direct Debit.
- Customers can find support and advice on the Ofgem website. Alternatively, if they need additional support, they can call Citizens Advice on 03454 04 05 06 or email them via webform, or get in touch through Ofgem’s facebook or twitter feed @ofgem
For media, contact
- Michelle Amos: 020 7901 1881
- Media out of hours mobile: 07766 511470 (media calls only)
General enquiries (non-media)
If you are an energy customer looking for help and advice, including complaints about energy firms, please see our Household gas and electricity guide. Citizens Advice also provide a free, impartial helpline service across a range of issues on 03454 040506.
We also regularly share news and post general advice to help consumers get the most out of their energy services via our @Ofgem twitter and Facebook pages.If you have an enquiry or complaint relating to Ofgem’s policies or functions, contact us at email@example.com or on 020 7901 7295.
For all other non-media related enquiries, please visit our Contact us page.
Ofgem is the independent energy regulator for Great Britain. Its priority is to make a positive difference for consumers by promoting competition in the energy markets and regulating networks.
For facts, figures and information about Ofgem’s work, see Energy facts and figures or visit the Ofgem Data Portal.