Sara Lawson QC appointed as new SFO General Counsel
25 Feb 2019 01:02 PM
Following a fair and open competition, the Serious Fraud Office is pleased to announce that Sara Lawson QC is to join the SFO as our new General Counsel in May.
Formerly of Red Lion Chambers, Sara is a barrister with extensive experience prosecuting government, criminal and regulatory cases.
Prior to taking Silk in 2017, she worked for the Insolvency Service as Standing Counsel and as member of the Government Regulatory A List, prosecuted on behalf of the Health & Safety Executive, the Office of Rail & Road and the Environment Agency.
As General Counsel, Sara will provide oversight, advice and quality control on SFO cases and preparations for trials.
SFO Director Lisa Osofsky said:
“I am pleased to welcome Sara to our team and look forward to working closely with her on our cases in future.
“As a highly qualified and experienced barrister Sara will provide invaluable insight as General Counsel for the SFO.”
SFO General Counsel Sara Lawson said:
“I am delighted to take up this position and eager to join the SFO’s fight against serious economic crime.
“I look forward to taking on the exciting challenges this new role will bring and being part of such a great team at the SFO.”
Sara previously acted for the SFO as first junior counsel in the £70m Revell-Reade boiler room fraud cases which resulted in 9 defendants convicted and prison sentences totalling almost 50 years
Sara Lawson QC replaces Alun Milford, who left the post in late 2018 for Kingsley Napley after 6 years working for the SFO.
Notes to Editors
- Sara Lawson became a QC in 2017. She received her Barrister at Law degree from Inns Court School of Law and received a Business Law degree from the University of Huddersfield before joining the Law Commission as a consultant researcher in the law reform team.
- Sara will officially join the SFO on 1st May 2019
- Further information on the General Counsel role and Sara’s career history can be found on our website at https://www.sfo.gov.uk/about-us/biographies/
- Former SFO General Counsel Alun Milford left the SFO late last year. His departure was announced on 24thSeptember 2018 and recruitment for his replacement was announced on 7th November 2018 here.
- Further information on the Revell-Reade boiler room fraud cases can be found on our website here and here.