HM Land Registry
Printable version E-mail this to a friend

Latest campaign launched to encourage farmers to secure land ownership

Farmers can find out how straightforward it is to secure their land ownership when they visit the Agricultural Machinery and Equipment Show at the Royal Bath and West Showground on 3 February.

As part of Land Registry's 2010 campaign, representatives from Land Registry's specialist team will attend the Show to discuss the benefits of voluntary land registration and how they can help farmers through the process, which in most cases is quite straightforward.

Land Registry is encouraging landowners to voluntarily register their land, to help secure and protect what they own.  There is currently a discount of up to 25 per cent on the full cost of first registration for applications lodged voluntarily.

Nearly 70 per cent of land in Wiltshire, Somerset and Dorset is now registered, but this still leaves over 30 per cent of land without this level of ownership protection.

Andy Woodgate, Land Registry's local Register Development Manager, said:
"Registration is straightforward and offers the best possible safeguard of land ownership. It clarifies who owns what and ensures information is in one place and easy to access.

"Attending shows like this one gives us an ideal opportunity to talk directly to farmers and landowners about the benefits of registration and explain how we can help them."

Land Registry can be found in the Showering Pavilion at the Agricultural Machinery and Equipment Show.

For more information about the voluntary registration scheme visit Land Registry's website at www.landregistry.gov.uk, call 0800 432 0432 or email registerland@landregistry.gsi.gov.uk

1. Regional representatives from Land Registry are available for one to one interviews. Please contact COI South West on 0117 9175284.

2. Land Registry has offices in Plymouth, Weymouth and Gloucester.

3. Voluntary land registration allows landowners to be in    charge of their assets, to manage them more effectively now and in the long term, to consolidate complex legal information or historic data about their land and to better protect their land against encroachment.

4. A regional register development manager is available in order to make the process of registering land as straightforward as possible.

5. With one of the largest databases of its kind detailing over 22 million titles, Land Registry underpins the economy by safeguarding ownership of many billions of pounds worth of property.

6. As a government department established in 1862, executive    agency and trading fund responsible to the Lord Chancellor and Secretary of State for Justice, Land Registry keeps and maintains the Land Register for England and Wales. The Land Register has been an open document since 1990.

7. For further information about Land Registry visit www.landregistry.gov.uk

8. Regional news releases issued by COI News and PR can be viewed at http://nds.coi.gov.uk/

Issued on behalf of Land Registry buy the COI news and PR South West. For further please contact Becky Graham on 0117 9175284

Land Registry Press Contacts

Marion Shelley 020 7166 4543
Marion.Shelley@landregistry.gsi.gov.uk

Esther McWatters  020 7166 4487
Esther.mcwatters@landregistry.gsi.gov.uk