|Printable version||E-mail this to a friend|
Monitor issues intervention notice to Mid Staffordshire NHS Foundation Trust
Monitor, the independent regulator of NHS foundation trusts, has taken the decision to use its formal powers of intervention to appoint - with immediate effect - an interim Chair at Mid Staffordshire NHS Foundation Trust. In addition, we will be requiring the trust to appoint an interim Chief Executive to be chosen by Monitor.
This follows notification from the Trust’s Chair of her intention to resign immediately, and notification from the Trust’s Chief Executive of his expected departure.
The interim Chair will be David Stone, Chair of Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. His appointment takes effect from today.
Our objective in taking regulatory action is to ensure that the foundation trust is well led in order to deliver high quality care to its patients. We are taking swift action to require these interim appointments to put in place strategic and operational leadership to stabilise the Trust and ensure that progress continues towards the delivery of better patient care.
Monitor has been working closely with the Healthcare Commission throughout its investigation into services at Mid Staffordshire NHS Foundation Trust.
Monitor’s Board has found that under section 52 of the 2006 Act, Mid Staffordshire NHS Foundation Trust is in significant breach of two conditions of its authorisation and that discretionary intervention is necessary.
Without a Chair and Chief Executive in place to provide strategic and operational leadership, there is a significant risk to the Trust’s ability to ensure the delivery of quality patient services going forwards in accordance with its Authorisation.
In addition, the Trust is not compliant with the general duty under its Authorisation to exercise its functions effectively and efficiently.
Following publication of the Healthcare Commission’s report, and the Trust’s response, Monitor will consider whether further regulatory action is necessary.
Notes to editors:
- For media enquires please contact Anna Jefferson on 0207 340 2442
- David Stone OBE is Chair of Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and will remain in post at Sheffield for the duration of his interim appointment at Mid Staffordshire. He was previously Chairman of the Weston Park Hospital and Central Sheffield University Hospitals NHS Trust.
- The formal notice of intervention is available on the foundation trust directory
- Monitor authorises and regulates NHS foundation trusts, ensuring they are well-managed and financially viable in order to deliver high quality healthcare for patients.
- Monitor was established in January 2004. It is independent of government and accountable to Parliament. Monitor’s functions and powers are set out in the National Health Service Act 2006.