Department for Education
|Printable version||E-mail this to a friend|
Children’s Minister launches national directory of over 150,000 childcare providers and family services
From today parents across the country will be able to search for childcare providers in their region through one convenient website.
The Family Information Directory will include the details of all childcare available to families across England. It will show parents the range of providers, from nurseries to childminders and after-school clubs to children’s centres, available in their area. It will also offer mums, dads, grandparents and other carers information on services and support available to them at every stage in a child’s life.
The Directory is part of the Government’s flagship information service for parents, the Family Information Direct programme, formerly Parent Know How. The service incorporates independent advice from 18 organisations, charities and voluntary groups.
Launching the Family Information Directory in London today, Children’s Minister Dawn Primarolo said:
“We know that at any stage in their child’s upbringing parents and carers might need additional support or advice. Through the Family Information Direct programme we want to ensure that anyone with childcare responsibilities – from mums and dads to grandparents and carers – has the information and support they need in one convenient place.
“The Family Information Directory pulls useful information together in one place and gives parents and carers quick access to information about childcare and family services available to their family. I hope parents, grandparents and other carers find this to be an invaluable resource.”
The Family Information Direct programme brings together expert advice from a range of third and private sector partners. This will deliver support to parents when and where they want it, in a form that suits them. To receive the support and advice available through the Family Information Direct programme, parents and carers can:
ring a telephone helpline;
go online for personalised advice;
join a social network to get support from other parents in similar circumstances;
watch online videos for handy tips;
or read articles in newspapers and magazines.
The Family Information Directory is an extensive online signposting directory which gives parents and those working with families the ability to search for information about childcare and family services in both their local community and nationally. The Directory will increasingly be available on local authority websites and in other locations such as libraries and children's centres.
This press notice relates to 'England'
1. Family Information Direct, formally the Parent Know How programme, is funded by the DCSF
2. Parent Know How and the Parent Know How Directory were renamed Family Information Direct and The Family Information Directory, respectively, on 20th January 2010, following the launch of Support for All: Families & Relationships Green Paper
3. Between April 2008 and December 2009, Parent Know How supported more than 2.5 million parents through its telephone helplines and online services
4. The Family Information Directory contains 146,290 records (most of which are provided by local authorities)
5. The Family Information Directory can be found at: http://familyservices.direct.gov.uk;/ and on other sites that parents visit like www.dadtalk.co.uk and www.parentlineplus.org.uk.
Public Enquiries 0870 000 2288, firstname.lastname@example.org