Food Standards Agency
|Printable version||E-mail this to a friend|
Agency warning on chlorine solutions
The Food Standards Agency is renewing its warning that Miracle Mineral Solution (MMS) should not be consumed. A similar product, Chlorine Dioxide Solution (CDS), should also be avoided.
Miracle Mineral Solution, also known as Miracle Mineral Supplement, is sold as an oral supplement. MMS is a 28% sodium chlorite solution, which is equivalent to industrial-strength bleach. When taken as directed it could cause severe nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea, potentially leading to dehydration and reduced blood pressure. If the solution is diluted less than instructed, it could cause damage to the gut and red blood cells, potentially resulting in respiratory failure.
Although CDS is a more dilute product and not as potentially dangerous as MMS, it could irritate and damage the skin and gastrointestinal tract if swallowed. Other similar products containing chlorine solutions in varying strengths are available. These should also be avoided.
MMS, CDS and similar products are available via the internet. The Agency has reminded local authorities that these products should not be on sale. Anyone who is aware of these products being sold in retail outlets should notify their local authority trading standards department. Contact details of local authorities can be found using the link below.
Anyone who has any of these products should throw them away. If someone has consumed MMS, CDS or similar products and feels unwell, they should consult their doctor.