Home Office
Printable version E-mail this to a friend

English tests for partners

From Friday 26th November, migrants applying to come to the to join or marry their settled partner will need a good understanding of the English language.

People from outside the European Economic Area will now need to show that they can speak and understand English – and for many this will mean taking test with an approved provider.

The mandatory test also applies to people applying from within the UK as well as visa applicants from overseas.

Overseas applicants required to take a test will need to do so before they apply to come to the UK.

In an article published recently in the Daily Jang and the Asian Age, immigration minister Damian Green said that having a 'good grasp of our language will help promote integration, prevent exploitation, remove cultural barriers and support our country's economic wellbeing by reducing the strain on public services.'

Read the full article by Damian Green.

Find out more 

More information about the new English language requirements for partners is available on the UK Border Agency website (new window)

Get more out of life! Join CSSC for only £4.95pm!