|Printable version||E-mail this to a friend|
Independent Commission on Banking: Public Events
The Independent Commission on Banking will seek the views of consumers, businesses and other interested parties at five public events between now and Christmas. The Commission has been asked to consider reforms to the banking sector to promote stability and competition and wants to stimulate a wide debate on these issues following the publication of its Issues Paper on 24 th September 2010.
Details of the five events are as follows:
· Leeds, 4pm on 19 th November 2010. The event will be hosted by the Leeds University Business School and be chaired by Clare Spottiswoode.
· Edinburgh, 6pm on 22 nd November 2010. The event will be hosted by the David Hume Institute, at the Playfair Library. Bill Winters will chair the discussion, and panellists will include representatives from Lloyds Banking Group and Royal Bank of Scotland, as well as Bill Jamieson from the Scotsman and Professor Marcus Miller of Warwick University.
· London, 3pm on 2 nd December 2010. The event will be hosted by the Confederation of British Industry, chaired by Sir John Vickers and introduced by Richard Lambert. The panel will include John Varley, Chief Executive of Barclays.
· Cardiff, in early December 2010. The event will be hosted by the Welsh Assembly Government at the Pierhead building in Cardiff Bay and be chaired by Martin Wolf. The event will focus on the banking needs of small and medium enterprises.
· London, 6pm on 13 th December 2010. The event will be hosted by Consumer Focus, will look mainly at consumer and retail issues and be chaired by Martin Taylor.
Notes to Editors
1. To attend the Leeds event, please email your name, job title and organisation to firstname.lastname@example.org .
2. To attend the Edinburgh event, please contact Stacy Nairn on email@example.com .
3. To attend the London event hosted by the CBI, please email Hannah.Peachey@cbi.org.uk or call 0207 395 8167.
4. For further details of the other events, please contact the relevant partner organisations. The press contact at Consumer Focus is John Cottrill (020 7799 8006).The best contact point for the Welsh Assembly Government event is firstname.lastname@example.org .
5. The Commission’s website is: http://bankingcommission.independent.gov.uk
6. The Commission’s Issues Paper can be found at: http://bankingcommission.independent.gov.uk/bankingcommission/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Issues-Paper-24-September-2010.pdf
7. The members of the Independent Commission on Banking are Sir John Vickers, Clare Spottiswoode, Martin Taylor, Bill Winters and Martin Wolf.
8. Press enquiries during office hours should be directed to the Commission’s Duty Press Officer on 07787 059 259.
ICB Duty Press Officer
Mobile: 07787 059 259