WiredGov Newswire (news from other organisations)
|Printable version||E-mail this to a friend|
CAB - Price hike blow for stretched budgets
Yesterday's energy price rise by SSE will be a blow for stretched budgets says Citizens Advice as it asks other energy firms not to raise prices.
Citizens Advice Chief Executive Gillian Guy said:
"This price rise will be a blow for stretched budgets. The hike comes at a time when some working households are turning to food banks to feed their families as they struggle to cope with the rising cost of living. I hope other energy firms show an understanding of their customers' financial situation by not raising their prices this winter.
“Many households are facing a daily battle try to make their frozen incomes cover mounting energy, food and travel costs. Further increases will push people into poverty.”
Notes to editors
- The Citizens Advice service comprises a network of local bureaux, all of which are independent charities, the Citizens Advice consumer service and national charity Citizens Advice. Together we help people resolve their money, legal and other problems by providing information and advice and by influencing policymakers. For more see the Citizens Advice website.
- The advice provided by the Citizens Advice service is free, independent, confidential, and impartial, and available to everyone regardless of race, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, age or nationality.
- To find your local bureau in England and Wales, visit www.citizensadvice.org.uk. You can also get advice online at www.adviceguide.org.uk
- You can get consumer advice from the Citizens Advice consumer service on 08454 04 05 06 or 08454 04 05 05 for Welsh language speakers
- Citizens Advice Bureaux in England and Wales advised 2.1 million clients on 6.6 million problems from April 2012 to March 2013. For full 2012/2013 service statistics see our quarterly publication Advice trends
- Citizens Advice service staff are supported by more than 22,000 trained volunteers, working at over 3,000 service outlets across England and Wales.